Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzle loaders/ high power rifles

J

jason

I kind of makes me wonder why we can use muzzle loader that can kill up to 200 yards,and still fly a couple of miles away, but we can't use high power rifles, (243or 25-6) that are big, but not over kill.
I'm not saying we should use them, but what is the diffrence?
Thanks!

A 7mm mag will carry nearly 7 miles....the blackpowder won't come close. I've been told that because Iowa is so flat, few trees, and the proximity of livestock/buildings...high power rifles will probably never be allowed. Maybe the best alternative would be to allow straight wall cartridges over necked cartridges.

In-line muzzleloaders are frowned upon in some areas of the country as well, for the fact that they do shoot as well as they do. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Colorado ban them for hunting deer?

Also, I believe that rifles were allowed in Iowa way back in the first few years that it had deer hunting. Around 1960 or so they changed it to slug only, for the reasons that Rembrandt listed I'm sure.

I believe Idaho has a primitive season where only recurves/longbows and flintlocks are allowed. Their head of the DNR is trying to preserve that type of hunting.....don't think we'll see that here.

In one of the public hearings I went to when we bowhunters were trying to keep the blackpowder season out of the peak of rut, someone asked Al Ferris why we did not have a rifle season and his response(at that time) was that it was not TRADITIONAL to Iowa. Those of you that remember Lee Gladfelder and knew him may recall that even as a deer biologist that he very much supported the more one on one close encounter hunting styles as much as anything else.

Personally I think we make better experienced, safer hunters if we keep our shooting close to us no matter what we are using.

BigCountry, CO did outlaw inlines but there was so much pressure fron hunters and manufacturers,(my guess more of the latter)that it was recinded shortly afterwards.

Colorado ran into a buzz saw with the NRA and some manufacturers over the banning of inlines....the reality is that inlines have been around since the 1700's....Tony Knight just brought it forward again and refined it to today's standards. Thank You Tony!

There are some buckskinner traditional groups that have opposed the inlines....Penn is one state that does not allow them. Sort of like traditional bow hunters who don't want anything to do with compounds.

As long as hunters continue to kill other hunters during a slug season I don't think you'll see high powered rifle season in Iowa.
The ML range is 200 yards max and that shot is questionable for killing deer.
Just my opinion.

Top Bottom