Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy Broadhead question

P

PupChowMN

This is the first year for using Muzzy's for me and after shooting two does this year it raised some interesting questions. Neither one had much of a blood trail even though they were both good complete pass through shots. So is this an effect of the cutting diameter or something else? Has anyone else noted this with the Muzzy's?

Not sure what you have been shooting. But it does make a difference what you hit and how high the leaking hole is in the deer. Sometimes it takes a bit for them to fill up and leak out. If you are in a stand a get a pass through I wouldn't guess you should have a problem.

I don't think it matters what head you got, some shots just produce different blood trails, I have hit deer in about the same exact place, and some of the blood trails were awesome and some weren't. It doesn't make much sense to me, but as long as they go down, I won't complain
smile.gif

i have been using muzzy's since i started bowhunting 12 years ago, never really had any problems with a blood trail! it kinda depends on the shot placement! i don't think you have a thing to worry about, because sometimes even if you hit them in the heart the only blood you'll find is where they die and sometimes i have seen them throw blood everywhere! i myself wouldn't worry about it!

I have shot deer with Thunderheads, MUZZY's and now Shockwaves. The only reason I switched from MUZZY's to shockwaves was for arrow flight.

As far as blood trails go, I think alot of it stems from #1 shot placement and #2 how spooked the deer was at the shot. I have had numbers of deer run for 50 yards and pile up hardly leaving any blood until the last few yards of the "ending". Simply they run so fast the blood dont have a chance to leak fast enough even with full pass through of the arrow. On the other side with a wind of any amount that can cover the sound of the bow, I have had deer take an arrow and not hardly flinch. Lots of blood and walk 20 yards and do the big "rear end falling out" circle and fall over. Never knew what happened.

To answer the question, I think there is too many variables. Get a good broadhead that flys true, make the shot count and everything will fall together. A 1" vs 1 1/8" broadhead personally I think is a mute subject. Put it where it needs to be and you will find blood, just maybe not right away or possibly instantly. If you see the arrow coated with blood on the other side of the deer at the shot, chances are, you will find a decent blood trail.

Pat

Thanks for the answers...I am just used to seeing a lot of blood, of course I may just be getting shell shock from shooting two does in two sittings, I am usually not even blessed with seeing deer on my bow stand, but they flock to my shotgun.

Top Bottom