Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My first food plot- input welcome

Seth

projected_plot.JPG

I'm planning on putting in my first food plot this spring. We have plenty of food with corn and beans around so I want to make this into a killing plot mainly for does in early october.

The plot is going to be right around 1 acre. The timber on the north is about 1 acre but it is connected to about 30 acres of timber across the fence which I can't hunt. The timber on the south is about 10 acres m/l.

It slopes down hill from north to south and is pretty sandy. The plot is an easy 150 yard poke from an elevated road. When we have corn in like we did this past year the potential plot is hidden but with beans on the slate for this spring the plot will be very visible from the road so I need a barrier to keep it somewhat out of sight or at least to keep any road hunter from getting a clean crack.

I've tossed around the idea of putting up a sunflower "wall" along the west edge of the projected plot. I don't want to plant anything permanent like cedar trees because the combine needs room to turn around and if it ran over the sunflowers no big deal. I figured sunflowers would be a pretty cheap way to go about that.

Also, is burning the existing grass off and then tilling an exceptable method or is spraying the only way to go? Also I plan on broadcasting the seed after it is tilled up. I really don't have a ton of money to sink into this thing so I'm trying to get creative. We farm so I have all the machinery I need. However here are my Q's to you experts:

-What to plant that does well in a sandy location?

-Do seed dealers have these seeds? (My uncle is a Golden Harvest dealer)

-If not, where to get the seed?

-Would I need to spray it after it's been established and with what do I spray it?

-Mowing as well

I understand this is asking alot and probably not all of my questions will be answered but any input is very helpful.

Thankyou

You say the budget is a concern so I would stick with cereal grains with this one. Oats, Winter Wheat planted late this Summer would be a hit. If you wanted some long lasting green in there add some Rye. These are annuals so it's a one year deal. These will all be available at local co op's, or farm services type places. Some don't carry untill later in the Summer though. If it was me I may just disk late late Summer (late August) and broadcast or if you have a grain drill available drill the seed in late August as well. Since it looks like you are already planting corn this Spring did you consider planting corn for your screening wall?

Rye as a fall plot looks like it would have them standing there like they were tied up and ready for shooting. Poor soil doesn't bother rye much. South facing sandy soil is going to be a problem for clover but chicory may be an option. I'd agree on corn as a screen as you are going to have a planter right there or sunflowers or egyptian wheat or a tall sorghum.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">-What to plant that does well in a sandy location?

-Do seed dealers have these seeds? (My uncle is a Golden Harvest dealer)

-If not, where to get the seed?

-Would I need to spray it after it's been established and with what do I spray it?

-Mowing as well </div></div>

I can't add much to what has already been said except to agree...cereal grains (rye, wheat, triticale and oats) are the least expensive and very simple to plant and maintain.

A 10 spot would just about do an acre but $20 to be on the safe side. I've planted plenty on all types of sand to clay with no fertilizer and no spray (not that fertilizer wouldn't help...)

For fall grains one can just till in late August...and plant. If you get rain your good to go. Add some urea if you really want it thick and lush.

No burning or spraying needed although if it's in sod (brome or fescue) burning or mowing and then nuking it with Roundup is certainly benificial.

If you want to seed it so clover, you can plant oats and clover in mid August or frost seed the clover later that winter. Clover requires soil testing, lime, fertilizer, mowing (before and afterwords)and doesn't always make the best late winter feed.

Best that you decide what your going to plant based on what seems like it will work best for you...and then we can help you with the specfics of how to plant and maintain that particular plot.

Compare Clover and Cereal Grains For the most part late season useage of clover will be minimal compared to rye or wheat.

Brassicas don't do sand so I wouldn't try those in a dry spot.

Thanks for the help everybody. I got all winter to make my final decisions. I will be keeping you guys updated.

Man I love this site.

Im going along with everyone else.

Go with a cereal grain planted late summer. Oats/Winter Wheat/Rye Might be good after the beans and corn are gone as well.
As far as the barrier, sunflowers planted in rows. About 4 rows would add a nice barrier. Or look at switch grass. Good switch grass can get 5 feet tall, and it would be a little thicker to look through that sunflowers. Maybe try a sunflower/switch grass mix. That would be a pheasant HAVEN, if both produced. Plus a year from now you can be thinking about spring turkey on it /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Dean

"We farm so I have all the machinery I need."

I'm assuming this is your own ground since you said you farm. So the sunflowers would be okay. If this isn't your ground I would make sure and ask about the sunflower thing. Working in Ag retail I've come to learn that most farmers HATE sunflowers being around, because they go to seed and can cause problems in the future. Just a little food for thought. The deer we've been hunting since the ice and snow have really been hitting the standing corn that we left. So a wall of corn to block the outsiders might be the ticket. Otherwise everythinig else the other guys have said sounds good.

Top Bottom