Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native grasses into Brohm CRP

bbloom96

Is there any option for getting native grasses started properly in Brohm sod this spring? I was not able to get the area sprayed last fall and I would need to get it completed before Feb 15th for MCM. Could I triple disc and then interseed? Any suggestions?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BBloom</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there any option for getting native grasses started properly in Brohm sod this spring? I was not able to get the area sprayed last fall and I would need to get it completed before Feb 15th for MCM. Could I triple disc and then interseed? Any suggestions?

</div></div>

The most important thing is to kill the brome! You need to hit it hard with roundup (right now if it's growing good) and then it's best to rent a no-till drill from your local county conservation board or hire someone to plant it.

Tilling the sod will only open a "Pandoras Box" of weeds that will be a mess to control.

You could also burn it and then spray the regrowth with roundup and then no-till the NWSG shortly after.

Read thru our threads on:

Native Warm Season Grass

and

Switchgrass

for more detailed information and plenty of pictures. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I just drilled my switchgrass into pastured brome this past week. Up here the grass is just barely starting to green up. My plan is to hit it w/ the roundup/atrazene mixture in about a week. My main concern lies with the conservation boards drill. They told me it was set as shallow as it would go but it still looked to be cutting awfully deep to me. I tried to adjust it myself but the knob had no turn left in it. Is it normal for a no til drill to cut deeper than it actually puts the seed?

Re: Native grasses into Brome CRP

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is it normal for a no til drill to cut deeper than it actually puts the seed?
</div></div>

I suspect the soil is pretty moist and soft yet which is another reason I like to drill into frozen ground in late winter.

There may be no way to back off the pressure anymore then it is but check to see where the seed is actually dropping? It may be back far enough that is isn't dropping deep into the furrow.

The no-till coulter is meant to cut thru trash and "stir" things up in a narrow band and then (on most drills) a second set of coulters opens the furrow to drop seed.

I usually take a screw driver or some such and "dig" around a little and see how deep seed is being planted...tough to do with small seeds like switchgrass I know.

Hopefully yours isn't being planted too deep...it should be like clover, just pressed against or into the very top of the soil.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plan is to hit it w/ the roundup/atrazene mixture in about a week. </div></div>

I'm not familiar with Atrazine's effect on NWSG's so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it kill the emerging NWSG's?

And you'd want to make sure the round up went on before the NWSG's emerged, a week should be OK but I wouldn't push it any longer than that.

Funny, we just burned a bunch of our brome that had some NWSGs in it, hoping after a few years of burning we'll have a lot more sign of NWSGs. Check out the Native Warm Season Grass post Dbltree talked about, I posted some pictures, hope it was worth it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IA ML'r</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My plan is to hit it w/ the roundup/atrazene mixture in about a week. </div></div>

I'm not familiar with Atrazine's effect on NWSG's so correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't it kill the emerging NWSG's?

And you'd want to make sure the round up went on before the NWSG's emerged, a week should be OK but I wouldn't push it any longer than that. </div></div>

Atrazine works very well for switchgrass and big bluestem but will not work for indiangrass ...so NO for NWSG but YES for switchgrass alone.

Switchgrass will most likely not germinate until late may or early June but I still would want to get the brome sprayed very soon. That's why I prefer killing it the fall before then one doesn't have to worry about it,especially with wet spring weather. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom