Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need a Quiet Arrow Rest!

petherss

Hey Fellas. New member but have enjoyed reading your posts for quite a while now.
I have been shooting a NAP Quick Tune 1000 for 4-5 years now. I like it except for the little teflon tubes that came with it soon turned to junk from repeated shots. The replacements were even worse. So.......I resorted to putting mole hair on the prongs. They wear out in about 10 shots....

Do they make a durable coating for this? Are there any 'backyard' remedies I can try or am I heading toward a new rest? Does anyone know of a similar rest (possibly a drop away) that has held up even after lots of arrows have been shot over it? I guess this is a dumb question since it "drops away". haha
crazy.gif
Thanks Guys!

I don't know how feasible this is,but,couldn't you try and coat them with a teflon coating that would last for awhile and it wouldn't make any resistance on the arrow.
If you do look at a new rest,all three of my bows have Trophy Takers on them.Just a thought.

first off welcome to the site
smile.gif
I got the same rest as you do, I've just been putting shrink tube on the prongs where you hold a flame next to it and it molds to your rest. seems to work good, I dont know if that is the same thing as the replacements or not, but on my bow i havent had them wear out except for about every 2 years i put more on
smile.gif

I also have shot this rest for the last 6 years or so. I replaced the origanal NAP prongs with a pair from a company called Savage. I think they are teflon! I replaced the nap prongs about a year after I bought the rest. I have never had to replace the Savage prongs!! They wear like iron. The Quicktune is a great rest, and although I have thought about jumping on the dropaway bandwagon, I figure " WHAT'S THE POINT?" If it ain't broke ETC.!!
157RAtinybuck-thumb[1].gif

Thanks for the info guys. Liv4rut- Yes, the tubes that you put on and then shrink with a lighter is what I meant by replacements. Those things are wearing out pretty quickly. It may be the arrows I am using. I have heard that Goldtips have a rough exterior and tear up rests. Maybe it's time to change arrows instead of a rest. And for what they want for Goldtips.....might not be too bad of an idea anyways.
I thought about the dropaway or wisker biscuit to get rid of this problem but I am shooting pretty darn good with my old 'trusty' NAP, so I don't think I'm going to change. I'm trying to get all of my gear in order before the start of fall because I'm heading down in your Area (SE Iowa) to see first hand what all the big buck talk is about. I CAN'T WAIT! I'm sure you guys don't like hearing that nonresidents are coming in to hunt, but I am just like you guys....I live to be in the woods and would like to see atleast one big buck in my lifetime. Thanks again fellas!!!!

Good luck with your rest . . . and switch to a drop-away soon. You'll love it. And regarding your thought that Iowan's don't want non-residents coming here to hunt - not true. I'm sure there are several who feel that way, but if I have the opportunity to hunt as a nonresident in other states, then a fair number of nonresidents should be able to hunt here. Hope you have a great hunt !

It would be just as cheep to set up a trophy taker or nap drop away as it would to change arrows and it would cure the problem for good. Come to the dark side and be teflon free.

Leather works the best, just glue (superglue) a thin strip to the prongs. Never wears out and is by far the most quiet material available. Also, you can easily turn that rest into a drop away, I have done it.. just turn the spring around and add a little peice of metal to the side screw, then attach the string to the cable, tie it with dental floss until you get the anchor point, then secure it.

Looks like I might have to go with a drop away then. Thanks guys.

I am actually staying in Iowa and hunting just across the border in Missouri. I applied for the Iowa bow hunt and got shot down. Then I find out that it is actually easier to draw a gun hunt than a bow hunt! Does this seem weird to anyone else? I thought it would have been the other way around.
One thing is for sure though, your conservation department is on the right track. I believe the reason that Michigan doesn't produce many big bucks is due to the timing of the rifle season. Lots of bucks are killed while in the rut. A lot of 1-2 year olds get killed. A December gun season like yours makes a lot more sense. I know there are a lot of variables that make a big buck, but I believe keeping the pressure off of them until the right time plays a huge part. Thanks Again Guys!

Get yourself some NAP Fork Tamers. They're made of teflon and slip right over the prongs of your rest. They'll quiet it right down, even the Gold Tips.They cost about $6-$7.

Top Bottom