Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need input on CVA Optima info.

Scooonie

Hey,

first time muzzy hunter here...I bought a CVA optima awhile back and will be heading out late muzzy for the first time. I was just wonderin what shoots well out of the optima. Anyone with experience and could give a guy a head start on what works with their optima would be awesome. Thanks!

Well, I have a CVA optima .50 cal. From my experience and I have tried Barnes bullets in weights from 250-350, TC Shockwaves from 250gr-350gr. with different powder weights of 100 and 150 grains of both pyrodex and triple7. I couldn't get any of these to group any closer than an 8" group at 100 yards. So, I have some bullets that are solid lead called Precision QT that are 180 grains that I can shoot 100 grains of pyrodex and get a 3" group or so. It has brought down every deer I have shot with it.

I hope you have better luck with your Optima than I have. Overall it's a very user friendly gun (easy to clean, comfortable, etc...) but I just haven't been able to get mine to group all that great. Let me know what works for you! Who knows...maybe I missed the magic combination?

I initially had a frustrating time with mine too. Last year everything came together and was shooting well. I use 100 grains (pellets) of 777 and the cheap TC Mag express 240 grain bullets from wally world. Good luck, hope this helps you out.

Don't know about anyone else, but I have had problems with my Optima. After I load it, I have to slam the action very hard or else it won't cock. Sometimes I have to do this 4-5 times before I can get it tight enough to cock the hammer. This sucks on the range, but really sucks hunting as you lose a lot of trust in the gun being reliable enough to fire. I have cleaned and cleaned the gun, but haven't been able to fix it. Any suggestions are welcome. Sucks because I really like how the gun feels.

I don't own one, but helped a guy sight his in. His is an Optima Pro (longer barrell). We got 2.5 inch groups at 100 yards with 2 T7 magnum pellets and 250 grain Barnes Spitfire TMZs.

We also shot about a dozen of my leftover 195gr. Precison QT's and got around 3 inch groups with those as well, similar to what Shadowpeople said he got with is. Personally, I was disappointed, as I've owned two separate CVA's that were cheaper than the Optima that shot quite a bit better... But, we were still making kill shots out to 150 or so at the range, not much need to shoot longer than that...and if you plan on it, I would opt for a little heavier bullet than the QT's...

Good Suggestions above!! Another one that the local gun shop guy told me is to contact CVA directly and ask them what shoots best. Maybe they would know. This guy always dealt with knight directly and would call Green Mountain who made the barrels and gave them the barrels serial number. Sposedly they would send him data sheets on what loads worked the best at their ranges for that line of barrels. He said he was suprised that different barrels like different loads and bullets. Just a thought.

I just bought an accura this fall and it likes the 295 grain powerbelts over 2 50 grain pyrodex pellets. I tried some hornady 240 xtp sabots and got 6 inch groups at 50yds. Had a few of the powerbelts so tried those and got 1 inch 3 shot group at 50yds, under 3 inches at 100yds. CVA really pushes the powerbelts for their guns and I'm happy with this load for Ia but want to find a sabot that shoots flatter for a trip to Nebraska in December.

I have one, my hunting partner has one, and my father has one.

All of them have been dead nuts straight out of the box Powerbelt 245gr ballistic tips, with 100grains (pellets) Pyrodex or 777 at 100yds.

Mine shoots about a 4in group OPEN sights at 100yds when I have it in my leadsled.

Top Bottom