Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need more poundage

moosehunter

PMA Member
Friday night went out fish shootin again and had the arrow pull out of two heavy grass carp. One shot was close and a solid body hit but the arrow must not have made it all the way through the fish. I've been in the 40-45 lb range on the bow but turned it up to 55 range now. If I'm gonna keep shootin these pigs I gotta have more punch. Both of those fish were much bigger than the 40 ponders I already shot. Might try tonight again......................

Hey Perry.... post some pics of those pigs if you get a couple good ones..... I have not bowfished in years, but am itching to get back out there.... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

What heads are you using? It is very common to pull out on grassies. They have very soft bellies and if you don't get a good meat hit they will be gone. I only shoot 40 lbs and land most of my grassies. Here's a couple of 20 pounders from last weekend. The most important factor in landing big grassies is making sure your partner gets a good back-up shot in the fish. If shooting alone, a good gaff helps.

06-08-08040.jpg

06-08-08036.jpg

Maybe it's not the poundage so much as the fish point you're using Perry? Just a thought.

hoofline.gif

Looks like a fun time Matt, you guys have some hogs there. Thanks for sharing. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

hoofline.gif

Would you like more information about becoming a PMA or Life Member? >>>>> Details Here!<<<<< iowawhitetail.com, Iowa's number one resource for the whitetail deer.
11.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kansasdeerslayer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What heads are you using? It is very common to pull out on grassies. They have very soft bellies and if you don't get a good meat hit they will be gone. I only shoot 40 lbs and land most of my grassies. Here's a couple of 20 pounders from last weekend. The most important factor in landing big grassies is making sure your partner gets a good back-up shot in the fish. If shooting alone, a good gaff helps.

06-08-08040.jpg

06-08-08036.jpg

</div></div>

I'm using muzzy points I think. I've landed two 40 pounders with the same point and many 5 to 8 lb carp. Not sure where I hit the 1st one the other night (long shot) but the 2nd was a solid hit. I'm quite sure the fish would go over 50lbs, he was bigger than the 40's I already had. Put it this way, there was four of us in the boat and he pulled the boat around before he came off. I'm just thinking that if the arrow made it through it prolly wouldn't pull out.

Sounds like a monster of a fish! I used to use the muzzy stingray tips and lost alot of fish. I switched to the shure shot penetrator tips at the end of last year and haven't hardly lost a fish since. I have a friend that won't shoot grassies with anything other than a Gene Davis tip and swears he NEVER loses a fish. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

By the way, wasn't trying to hijack your post with my pics, Perry. Sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> By the way, wasn't trying to hijack your post with my pics, Perry. Sorry. </div></div>

No problem. Didn't think nothin of it. Maybe I can add some pics to it soon........

Pics are good, so long as you stop parking on boat ramps. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics are good, so long as you stop parking on boat ramps. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif</div></div>

Jeesh...........make one little mistake and some knucklehead puts it all over the internet

hahaha
funny stuff!!!

great pix KDS!

lookin forward to more photos Perry!!!

I may have to switch lakes. An algea (sp) bloom reduced visibilty to maybe 6 inches. Couldn't see nothing Friday night.

Top Bottom