Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need some input......

Rudd

Life Member
I will be the first to admit that my turkey hunting skills are still in the "novice" category. I have gone for 7-8 years and went emty handed until 3 years ago. The next year an emergency left me hunting for some 12 hours only. Last year I shot a bearded hen. Now back to my question....I have never set-up for a kill on fly down. I mainly hunt where I know they eventually strut during the day. I would like to be a little more aggressive thi s year. Should I try something different? I hunt on top of a ridge and the gobblers are all around me. When they fly down they go down into the thicker part of the timber. I just want to hunt them more instead of waiting for them to arrive. If I need to explain further I will. Also I am shotgunning. Attached is a friend of mines that he shot yesterday....and believe it or not OneCam it wasn't shot with a Mathews.

Attachments

• 24847-DOLASH4.jpg
    24847-DOLASH4.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 5
Ruddbow.....without getting into specifics about calling. Setting up for a "fly down kill" has alot to do with knowing the lay of the land you hunt, knowing where the Toms are roosting, and knowing where they like to spend their time right at daybreak. It sounds like to me you already have a good idea about where they roost and where they fly down to. Try to actually roost the birds in the evening with a locator call. Set up well before first light in the area you think they will fly down to. When peak breeding is going on sometimes there is no competing with a bunch of live hens at first light. Setting up later in the morning in the areas you know they like to strutt is not a bad tactic at all. I have killed very few birds right after fly down during peak breeding periods. The ones I have were late in the season when the hens were nesting and no longer interested. Don't get discouaged and just keep after it. I don't even know if I even helped you with your question. Good Luck!

Ghost, Yes you did answer some of my questions. I just hear so many stories of guys shooting toms on fly down I was thinking it was a common occurence for everyone. I know where they roost but they have a tendency to fly down on ground where I am unable to hunt. I am just thinking I need to be more mobile this year. I hunt from a shack that has been very productive throughout the years. I should just skip the shack and put the blind up where I know they will come through. If I recall correctly someone (Limb?) said they killed more birds during mid morning than at first light anyway. Thanks for your reply.

Limb did say that Rudd. I'm also another who gets more birds later in the morning after the hens get away from them. Knowing the lay of the land and where the birds are headed to makes a big difference. Come to think of it I've never killed on right after fly down.

I agree with Ghost Walker in that you know about where the birds are roosting. Get into the general area and listen for them to start gobbling before day light. When you hear them try to move in closer but not too close. If you are using a shotgun leave the blind home, you can be more mobile and quiet with out it. Use one jake or hen decoy and place off on your left if you shoot right handed. That way you can use your knee for a gun rest and not have to twist arround to get a shot. Call very little and very softly while it is still dark just to let them know where you are and that you are available. If they cut you off on a call they know where you are and will usually come you're way. You will hear them when they fly out. When they get on the ground try to get them to gobble so you can tell where they are. Call sparingly but if they don't come your way get pretty agressive with clucks and cutts, and be alert. Some times a bird will come in and never make a sound. I killed one this morning that flew out of a tree maybe 30 yards behind me and never gobbled once. He landed less than 15 yards from me and the only sound he made was drumming while displaying for the decoy. It was still dark enought that I had to wait for more light to shoot at 6:10. Every bird I have gotten in the spring has been before 8:00 and most before 7:00.

All good advice and then you need to remember- turkeys are just being turkeys so sometimes you can't figure them out.

thanks for all the GREAT advice....less than 24 hours to go.
biggun.gif

Top Bottom