Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Need suggestions... plot question.

stevep

I have a small plot that I've got Dbltree's rye / clover mix in. Last fall was the first year I'd done this rotation, so the plot is pretty thin. I think I underseeded (by quite a bit) on the rye. As of the end of the year, there was rye in there, and it seemed like a fair bit of baby clover, but it's also still a lot of dirt.

Next year I want to put this plot into a sunflower and millet combo for dove. I think I'll need to be planting that sometime around May 1. So the question is, what should I do with the plot before my Sunflower / Millet planting? Should I just let it grow up however it's going to tho spring (hopefully the rye and clover will grow enough) and then disc it up May 1 and plant my dove plot? OR should I be adding some frost seeded clover (what kind?) for the "short term" and then plant my dove plot?

Thanks.

Steve

I have no experience with the sunflower or millet. If your plot is small in size you are not out much by frost seeding into the bare areas. Although I am not sure though how much growth you would have by may first.

If it were me and you had access to a sprayer of some sort, back pack, four wheeler, I would burn it off before you ran your disc through it. It isnt necessary, but should give you a better chance at getting your new plot off and running without any added weed pressure. Just my $0.02

Last edited:
Thanks. I have a sprayer, and weed control should be pretty easy, I did a LOT of weed killing last season, and while I'm sure I'll have to deal with some, it's pretty bare.

My inclination at the moment is to just see how it comes in with the rye and clover that was planted last fall, and then disc it all up at the end of April in preparation for an early may planting of millet and sunflowers.

Steve

Top Bottom