Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Highway, cars + deer (Ottumwa for example)

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I drive through Ottumwa (and most of the state) with regularity. Many new roads, such as the new highway that goes around Ottumwa blow my mind with how many deer are killed by cars.
It was said that in the 1st week, over 40 deer were hit on the mile and a half stretch of road. Now, insurance companies are complaining about high deer numbers because of car damage.
EVERY WEEK I see about 3-4 minimum deer dead by Ottumwa, I would say way over 100 have been hit on that stretch in one year, at least 30-40 per year continuing guaranteed. Let's say an average of $1,500 per accident= $150,000 1st year and 45k-60k each year after, not including injuries to people.
QUESTIONS:
Why wouldn't the road commission put 8 foot fences along both sides, it would be far cheaper than 1 year of damage. They do this by Iowa Falls for example.
Can landowners who own land by highways get funding for 8 foot fences.
Why do some areas have fences and some not? Crazy not to for many reasons.

they are putting up deer fence along I-80 from the hwy 25 exit to casey. i'm sure that costs a ton to put up. this is why we need chain gangs. a good job for prisoners to do, to save on costs

I also drive that stretch by Ottumwa frequently. There are alot of dead deer. All of a sudden their area is altered. We blame the deer. they should understand our cars by now. The biggest buck I ever saw in Iowa was along that new 34, while under construction. He was wandering back and forth, confused very close to the highway. I wonder if he got hit?

They seem to work well to. I remember the couple mile stretch outside Douds called whitetail flats on I35 in N central Iowa always looking like a battlefield untill the fence was built now nothing is ever hit. I would imagine we will see more in the future. Great question.

Top Bottom