Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

New Plot

cybball

I have access to about 4 acres that I can plant into a plot. Currently, the spot is an overgrown weed field with thisle, grass, and small trees. It used to be a dirtbike track, but it's not been used in years. It's pretty much an eyesore right now. I would like to plant a small part of the field into turnips, and also some clover and maybe some corn or beans. I have access to a bush hog mower and a smaller disk. This hasn't been tilled in years. Hasn't been burned either. The spot is fairly full of thick thatch. What is my best bet for planting it? Roundup spray on the part I'm going to plant? Mow, then disc? Not sure if the disc will cut this stuff. I'm on a budget, so small to start out the first year. I already have seed for turnips that was given to me. Said it will plant 1/4 acre.
Thanks a million. Just a fun experiment for this season.

Given what you have and have said- unless you can burn it, I would bush hog 1/4 acre for plot and cut some other areas and trails through the overgrowth. About 2 weeks later I would spray the plot area with round-up and run the disk over it on a couple different occasions getting ready to plant turnips some time around mid August. Think about how you are going to get there and the wind when deciding where to put the plot.

Thanks very much. I think I've got a good spot for a treestand on the south edge of it. It's bordered by pasture. I'll get to cutting this weekend. Hopefully the disc will dig in. I'll keep at it though.

My father in law hit some of it with the bush-hog last week and I sprayed round-up. We shall see how that goes. My goal is to Nuke everything and then start to disc the area like crazy until it's really broken up. I'm sure I'll have to spray again mid summer, but I'm ok with that. I'm only working a 1/2 acre this season, maybe more.

[ QUOTE ]
My father in law hit some of it with the bush-hog last week and I sprayed round-up. We shall see how that goes. My goal is to Nuke everything and then start to disc the area like crazy until it's really broken up. I'm sure I'll have to spray again mid summer, but I'm ok with that. I'm only working a 1/2 acre this season, maybe more.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your doing it the right way for sure. Keep killing it with Roundup and tilling it up...rather then try to hurry and seed it now. Brassicas or clover are perfect for August seeding. Just try watch the weather and seed just ahead of a rain...which can be scarce in August!
smirk.gif

I'm learning that round up doesn't work that well on tall grass and weeds. Don't see much change in color since Sunday. I'll get more mowed and try to spray again.

Remember that RU works pretty slow, you might still be ok. It definately works best on small activly growing plants though, and it has been pretty cool which has slowed growth.
I spot sprayed some cool season grass in my switchgrass stand and it took a good two weeks to kill it. It was about 16" tall when I sprayed it.
In contrast, I sprayed that switch today with some 2-4D for broadleafs and I could see them getting sickly within 6 hours. Perfect conditions today though, calm and warm, just rained a couple days ago.

Yeah, I'm trying to be patient. There was some wilt, and slight yellowing in areas, but overall not the results I wanted. I'll keep at it though. I'm bringing in the chainsaw next weekend to get rid of as many saplings that I can.

Top Bottom