Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NEXT GENERATION

vrod

I took my 12 year old step brother on his first hunting trip sunday morning.The rain had me a little nervous but we headed out with positive attitudes to sit in a special stand that has produced many deer for myself and others.By 6:55 am we had seen 4 deer,but no shot oppportunities.At 7:00 am a nice doe with 2 fawns stepped out of nowhere,which he saw first.He calmlly took the 25 yd shot when she turned broadside with a 20 gauge borrowed from mom.He said he felt he missed,but we had practiced that distance of a shot last week with great accuracy.We sat and waited 30 minutes, when the 2 fawns returned alone i felt confident he had made a good shot.I climbed down and went to mark where he shot and found lots of pink blood as well as 3 large chunks of actual lung!I turned and gave him the thimbs up in the stand.His face lit up with joy and couldn't wait to find her.we started tracking,lost blood in 15yds.We then started circling out and found more blood 50 yds away,at which time it began to rain.Very liittle blood and now rain,not good.We split up on 2 trails and speed up the pace,50yds later he yells with excitement,I FOUND HER! perfect double lung shot,and she still went 120yds.I then got to explain the importance of tracking and not giving up.I just hope he doesn't think harvesting a deer will always be that easy,just a special spot.I don't know about anyone else,but it has been my experience that a doe with fawns has more will to survive and protect than any other animal.That was a very lethal shot,but to protect her offspring she ran as far away from the danger as she could in hopes she would draw the danger from her fawns.It was a great time and i hope it lights a fire in him to enjoy the great outdoors as much as i do.

Nothing like getting a young hunter pumped up over hunting! Sounds like you both had fun and a great hunt!
cool.gif

Congrats to you and your bro, and from the sounds of if you may have a new hunting partner for a long time.

Top Bottom