Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

No Till

MWHunter

Have any of you tried any of the no till food plot mixes in small plots in the middle of the woods? Any tips for trying these? Thanks!

I haven't used anything yet, but will be trying it a little later this summer. I plan to put in some more plots in the timber next year, after I do some tree thinning, but I am going to try something like Whitetail Institute's No Plow this summer/fall to see what it's like.

Hoody

I haven't used the commercial seed mixes, but I have no-till plots in the woods. The best thing you can do is burn it down with Round-up about three times during the summer and early fall before seeding to decrease weed competition. QDMA sells a book by Ed Spinazola that has a chapter on no-till plots using only hand tools.

i had a buddy that tried some last year on a trail going into a big oak flat and some of the seed was used in an old pasture.

The pasture portion seemed to come up very thinly. I saw some pea plants and something that resembled ?chicory? The portion that was in the woods had a couple of brassicas and some grass looking plants that I figured was rye or winter wheat. The deer ate the brassicas off ASAP (in early august) and the trail turned into what looked like a thinly planted yard. There was the grass comeing up thinly the whole 200 yards of the trail. It grew decent but the deer kept it about an 1in tall.

Dean

Top Bottom