Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NRA Video Tape Solicitation

R

rutnbuck

I know that everyone has been debating some rather serious subjects on here lately so I though I would temporarily lighten up things with another subject.

I recently received a new hunting video in the mail from the NRA (of which I am a long standing member). The advertisement said that if I wanted the tape it was mine for roughly $10, but if I did not want it was my responsibility to ship it back to them. They provided postage so it's not the end of the world.

However, I have never really liked this marketing tactic and was somewhat dissapointed that the NRA choose this method of fund raising. I choose to support them with my membership dues and really did not like them sending me unsolicited promo material that was my obligation to take care of "or else".

My question to other members is do you think by not sending the tape back we are legally responsible for payment on unsolicited material such as this. By the way I will most likely go ahead and send them the money as A) couldn't resist and watched the tape (and thought it was pretty good) and B) I support the NRA, just don't like this tactic.

Rut

The NWTF did this to me a couple of years back and they lost a member and a tape over it. It really irritated me. I did not send the tape back nor did I pay for it. I am pretty sure if someone sends you something in the mail unsolicited you do not have to return it. They did the same thing to my Dad and they lost him as a member as well. It is a bad marketing tatic in my opinion. I will get over it sooner or later and probably become a member again but not in the near future. I think they figure the tape costs about the same amount as the postage back to them so the loss is minimal if not zero.

Still makes me mad to think about it...
grin.gif

I'm involved with the NWTF and we blasted our district rep about those tapes. He said it was a marketing company and thought it was a bad idea, and it just died out. This is a bad way to raise money, to try to make people feel obligated by sending them something unsolicated. If that put you off you should rejoin because your local boys could sure use your support and maybe help with their banquet. We can't always agree with everything a large organization does but that doesn't mean the organization is bad, maybe just misguided and we could help get them back on track. Just couldn't resist a blantant plug for support of some of our hunting groups who do a lot of good.

bowmaker,
I am glad to hear that they heard opposition to this. I figured it was a marketing agency that had been hired.

I like the NWTF but it really upset me and I take a little time to get over things. I am going to sign my son up in the JAKES program but am not ready to get back in it just yet.

I know it doesn't make the whole organization bad but I still need to pout another year.
grin.gif

Thanks for filling me in on this I feel a little better now.

From what I've heard, if you recieve something in the mail and haven't ordered it, legally it is yours to keep at no cost to you regardless of what the sender may say about required payment.
I've had similiar experiences with books about fishing but I paid the sender only because I liked the first book and wanted more of 'em. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have because I agree that this is a shady business practice but they were cool books and I'm a sucker for all things outdoors.

Top Bottom