Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Oats or Winter Wheat?

loneranger

Which do you think is better to mix with rye for fall plots. ? Does either Oats or Winter Wheat germinate easier? I will be scatching it in with a rake, like my rye, which does really good that way. No tilling. Do deer prefer one over the other? I planted only rye last yr thot I'd combine with something else this fall.

Deer can't resist oats so I always mix rye and oats together every fall. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It's hard to beat winter wheat down here in KS, unless it's planted on every other field around like it usually is in agricultural areas. I've seen deer travel over two miles an evening to get to a wheat field. I know it's a different ballgame up there in IA.

If there's 4 acres FOR INSTANCE, try 2 acres one way and 2 acres another way. You'll soon know for the LONG-RUN after one season the way to go.
I will also mention that different deer in different areas seem to like different things from MY EXPERIENCE. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Hes going to be there awhile if its over an acre and he is doing by hand.

I have a 3/4acre of rye that is mature right now. I will mowing that off, discing lightly, and then seeding bin-run oats extra heavy.

Im not for sure but I doubt a guy could plant the stuff to thick.
If you do that the area and the supplys do both if you get a chance.

Dean

Oh, I didn't notice that or realize this was a hand-rake, yeah, I'd maybe do 1/2 an acre MAX, still could maybe do a 1/4 acre one way and 1/4 acre another way for example.

These are not huge areas I'm doing, just small plots. I did the rye thing last yr on about 3/4 of an acre maybe. Is alot of raking,but just wanted to make sure oats and wheat could be raked in like rye. Was told first of sept was good time to start for fall. Seemed a bit early, but went well that way last yr. Just didn't want rye to get too high so I'd have to cut it back or something before deer started munching it.

Top Bottom