Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

oats

10hunter

PMA Member
We have been using dbltrees program over the past few years with a few slight modifications due to our environment...the farm we are doing this floods many years so this worked great as compared to our previous corn-bean-clover mixes etc. We are using a blend of white and red clover and spraying the rye & wheat we plant in late spring with clethodim or roundup depending if we intend to keep the clover. due to intense flooding this year(and last) all our clover and alfalfa plots were killed ...so seeding the whole farm again.
I have always kept my oats\rye\wheat in the cereal grain mix with clover, peas, and radishes separate because it seems to me the deer can prefer certain ones at different times. Maybe right ???
My question is concerning oats. I was considering planting the oats(next few days) sooner this year to see if we would possibly get more growth or even some seed production for deer and even other wildlife benefits. Also I would not have to spray (as we do with the rye or wheat in the spring) if we wanted to hopefully have some perennial clover areas( barring another big flood). Does anyone have experience planting oats\clover a few weeks earlier than "recommended"...now instead of end of August? I know there will be more disease problems but not trying to win a yield contest. Just want to feed the herd ,keep them home, get clover growing again, and maybe make a few birds happy too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom