Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Observation Data

Central Iowa

Life Member
Observation Data
Many people loosely throw around numbers of what they believe the sex ratios are of their properties and the properties they hunt. Many times these numbers are from memory and not actual averaged and recorded data from their time a field. I would tend to agree you could get a fair estimation of the total sex ratio of the property but to get a true assessment of your management practices there are other factors to take into consideration. Other information besides total sex ratio that consistent data recording can tell you is amount of deer, adult sex ratio, fawn recruitment, and age Structure. It is also a good idea to compile this data with trail camera data collected as the mature buck data may be biased during daylight hours and ability to avoid human pressure. After hunting a friends property this past year that required this observation data I found it interesting what it can tell about your herd and management practices. This was brought up last night at the Central Iowa QDMA meeting and I thought I would share observation card that he put together.
1106Hunter_Observation_log-med.jpg

I thought they were pretty good when I used them. I think if I were to actually do something like this though, I think on the back I would have something for the bucks and their antler size, because I think it is easier to judge, and you would get a better idea of the quality of deer running around. You can try to state the age of the deer, but I would rather know how many deer are in the under 100, 140-150, 150-160 range,etc.. The age really tells you nothing about the quality of deer in my opinion. You could have 50 4.5 year old plus bucks on your place and you think you would be managing great, but i have seen this personally not be the case. Having both would be a great tool.
smile.gif
You also would need a permanent post-it where you hang your bow or gun to fill it out
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
It is also a good idea to compile this data with trail camera data collected as the mature buck data may be biased during daylight hours and ability to avoid human pressure.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been recording everything I see for 10 years now but I haven't used trail cams in a serious way...until now.

In my situation I'm not sure how to really use the information since my deer density is so high...I just can't physically kill enough does to have an impact.

Fun trying though
cool.gif

Great info Travis!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
For me the answer is obvious, harvest more does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been reading the article and thinking of all the info I have written down over the years and what if anything it has done for me.

I know that the number of deer seen each season has more then tripled, both antlerless and antlered deer.

I know that in my own situation 95% of mature bucks that I see while hunting are "one timers" during the rut.

Trail cameras may eventually tell a different story.

I know that the quality of antlered deer I see has steadly declined as numbers have increased.

As Randy notes...the answer or at least part of it is to harvest as many does as possible.

I find that on a smaller property it is difficult to take large numbers of deer without them quickly becoming wise and changing travel patterns.

It's also hard to "stem the tide" with thousands of acres of sanctuary on all sides.

My situation is very different then many other landowners but I am curious as to how some of you are or plan to utilize recorded data.

It certainly would be useful on larger acreages where the landowner has more control and a chance to seriously affect deer numbers and the age/size of antlered deer harvested.

[ QUOTE ]
I find that on a smaller property it is difficult to take large numbers of deer without them quickly becoming wise and changing travel patterns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that smaller property management is also complicated by "seasonal use". The deer are transient with the season, not only because of available food sources but "social events" like bachelor groups, the rut, fawning and yarding. It is difficult to manage a small property to offer all of the elements necessary to hold deer 24/7/365.

For me, trail cam images have not really shown me what I know is out there from visual observation, so I take the trail cam data with a huge grain of salt/skepticism. Granted though, it is another piece in the population evaluation puzzle. Even if I question the value of trail cam population information, running a trail cam is FUN!
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I know that the quality of antlered deer I see has steadly declined as numbers have increased.

[/ QUOTE ] I would think in some cases this information may part of the equation to help get neighbors on board. I also beleive this information is interesting and am going to start collecting this information. As well you could compare your data with others and see if any of this makes any sense
grin.gif
!

Some pilots use what is called a "knee board" while they fly. It is a simple thing that sraps around their thigh and provides a solid flat surface to write on. I thought it would be a good thing to use for recording this data while in the stand. Some knee boards are ultra fancy with built in lights and flip up compartments and some are just a piece of aluminum with a clip borad thingy to hold paper or maps. I could never remember which pocket I put the card in and I made alot of noise getting it out of my pocket when I finaly found it.

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] I would think in some cases this information may part of the equation to help get neighbors on board. I also beleive this information is interesting and am going to start collecting this information. As well you could compare your data with others and see if any of this makes any sense
grin.gif
!

[/ QUOTE ]

You would think so Travis but they have so much land that they are still able to take mature bucks, so they simply don't worry about it.

Still it is interesting to actually have some recorded information and at least compare it with others with QDM interests
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom