Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

OH NO!!!

H

horst

Well guys saturday night the wind was blowing real hard but it was outta the NW which is good for one of my stands I aint got to hunt very much yet this year.So I went.Despite the wind the deer were moving fairly good, I had 6 does come through and a little 4 pointer.Plus I had one decent buck with a huge body wind me(they never come from that direction, yeah right)About dark the 4 pointer came back out behind me and I was watching him.The stands in about an acre of slough ground surrounded by corn in the middle of a section where 3 fencelines come together.Anyway, right where the 4 point had come out of I saw movement.Here came the biggest buck Ive ever had that close, he had a 24-26 inch spread, 8 to 10 inch tines and he was a 10 pointer, he was huge.the main beams were incredibly long.Anyway he was quartering away watching the 4 pointer so i picked up the bow, drew back, and went to put the pin on him.The bow hit the tree, I couldnt get turned far enough to shoot him and he was only 10 yrds from me.By then Im shaking like crazy and not sure what to do.I let down and watch him dissapear into a little clump of willows.Figuring theres not gonna be a shot that night I decided to take advantage of the situation and get the hell outta there.I climbed down and circled out into the beans on the south end of the slough, turned the light on my sight on and nocked an arrow just in case and started for the car.Halfway past the slough I see my mistake, the 10 pointers standing 15 yrds from me with his head down.He looks up about the time Im trying to draw back and snorts, and hes gone.

Now I got a ask, since they been picking the beanfield i was in for 2 days do you suppose him seeing me in it spooked him that much or will he be back?He doesnt know the stands there apparently and I have only hunted it 3 times this year so there hasnt been much pressure on them out there.Im hoping the wind goesback NW or N so I can get back out there, it about drove me nuts hunting somewhere else yesterday knowing he was out there.
frown.gif

I think since there's been activity the last few days you're ok. Wait for the right wind and good luck!

I'd get right on him. When you think you know the habits of a big boy, you almost need to be real aggressive with them, because they can change habits in a hurry, either by crop harvest, hormones, weather patterns, or another hunter. You don't get many chances at them, so you have to make the most of each opportunity. Good luck, he sounds like a dandy.

Top Bottom