Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

old ways of scent elimination

J

jason

Have any of you guys ever tried boiling water with sticks and leaves in it. Then putting the water in a spray bottle and spraying it on your clothes as a cover up scent? Or are they any other natural materials to use for a cover up scent??
Thanks and good huntin

I don't go so far as to boil leaves and twigs but I do take good care of all my hunting clothes and try to shower before heading out. I wash my clothes with a scent-free soap, air dry the clothing outside and then store them in a large airtight plastic box. I only put them on after I arrive where I'm going to hunt and after I leave my vehicle and getting ready to head to my stand. In the field I also use a cover scent. If persperation is a problem it's a good idea to rewash or let them airout. Even with all that it's still tough to fool their nose and avoid the stands where the wind isn't favorable.

I do the whole nine yards with the scent free thing but as for a cover scent I find a cedar tree that looks like it needs a good bear hug. One good squeeze and your covered in "Cedar eu de Toilette". Works like a charm unless you happen to have an alergy to cedar.
smile.gif

Rackaddict - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

i absolutely love the idea of giving a cedar tree a big ol hug! i believe i'll be trying that one on this season...on the negative side if anyone sees me doing that and then ripping out my patented "cow cover up call" i might get thrown into the rubber room! =)

A while back I put a ceder branch in the plastic box I haul my clothing & equipment in. i stopped because besides hunting some spots far from any ceder trees the pokey little parts of ceder got in my clothes and was annoying.
As of late I've been toying with "Deer Sence" ("The Scent That Smokes") If deersmell it they will come in, but I've had mixed results. Any how, it creates a great cover! You can just tap the cover scent stick on your pants and your good to go. Then let the plastic bag PARTIALLY open in with the gear. OLD FASHIONED? well NO!

A while back I put a ceder branch in the plastic box I haul my clothing & equipment in. i stopped because besides hunting some spots far from any ceder trees the pokey little parts of ceder got in my clothes and was annoying.
As of late I've been toying with "Deer Sence" ("The Scent That Smokes") If deersmell it they will come in, but I've had mixed results. Any how, it creates a great cover! You can just tap the cover scent stick on your pants and your good to go. Then let the plastic bag PARTIALLY open in with the gear. OLD FASHIONED? well NO!
tongue.gif

I put my gear in a container then add dry oak leaves corn stalks and cobs. Mix vigorously and let marinate.

P.S. Be sure to remove all cobs, as this makes sitting in a deer stand very unpleasant.
shocked.gif

Frank

My partner and I pick up black walnuts and freeze them, take a couple out when you leave home and then rub them on your clothing when you get to the field. Best used where black walnuts are in the timber you are hunting. Also Baking soda showers and washing you clothes in baking soda than leaving them hang out to dry.

i use a normal Tide laundry detergent that is hypoallergenic, which means no scent or anything funky like that that a person who is allergic to everything would not want. it's also WAY cheaper than going to the store and buying the "special" scent free detergant, a 5 pound box cost like $6 instead of $10 or more for a small bottle of special hunting stuff.

I HAVE CEDAR DOG KENNEL BEDDING ROLLED UP IN OLD SOCKS, LAYERED IN MY HUNTIN CLOTHES YEAR AROUND. 5 POUNDS ABOUT 10 BUCKS LAST YEARS----AND WE ALL HAVE SOME OLD SOCKS LAYING AROUND.....I WOULD RECCOMEND WASHING THEM BEFORE STUFFIN EM...OLD SOCKS DONT HAVE TO SMELL LIKE OLD HUNTERS
wink.gif

M350 OUT

...Muddy, does the Tide have any UV brighteners?...I am a believer in keeping my hunting garb UV free (not sure if others feel this way?)...

hershy

i honestly don't know about the uv thing, all i know is i washed my clothes in the fragrance free tide degergent and the next morning i killed my buck. he was down wind and when he walked by he didn't see me and my stand is only 12 feet off the ground...needless to say he was CLOSE!!!

I wash em in 20 mule-team borax which doesn't cost to much ,still have some left over from turkey season from tails and wings. Then air dry in cedar branches in back yard, then shake in-side and out then into H.S Strut scent free garment bag with cedar waffer.The earth scents are good too.

Top Bottom