Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Open Field Placement of decoys

risto2351

In an open field what are you guys doing for blind placement?
Field I am hunting in has a high point sort of in the middle then tapers off to the woods.

I set up on the other side of the crest and had three toms stop 40 yards out as soon as they seen B-Mobile. Might of startled them as they came over the crest.

If I set up on the crest (in the middle)this time of the season the toms may expect the hens to come to him but they can see him from all around?

They are coming in and crossing all over from different areas. One day I am on one end and they come from the other and vise versa.

Last week I was right on the edge and they came in from behind and roosted all around me.

Frustrating to say the least but was wondering

what are you guys doing?

Thanks for the input.

I've had a similar situation in the past and it's hard to know what to do. Sounds like they don't have any particular pattern for using that field.

Best suggestion I have is to try and roost them and be back on that side the next morning. Maybe set up along the edge about 50-100 yds from where they're likely to land off the roost. Depending on how much calling they're doing, I'd give em a fly-down cackle and some fake wing beats (whack a wing or or cap against your leg) and hope that they come looking for the hen that flew down.

Also sounds like they might be scared off by B-mobile. Might want to try going with just a hen decoy or two (and mix up your calling - mouth and slate).

i would set up on the crown of the hill so you can see. as far as decoys, i wont be using PB any more this year, i think it will still suck in the dominant birds, but will more than likely scare of the subdominant birds. so id take a couple feeding hens and place them in a visable spot. if approaching birds from other angles cant see all your decoys, set up several different groups as to appeal to all angles.

good luck!

Thomas,

What are your thoughts on a strutting jake?

Could also put out a single jake with them ??

i look at it this way. a male turkey at this point in the game has earned his place in the pecking order, no matter what. so if he is on the bottom of the list then every bird will/should investigate, but if he is middle of the road, that cuts off half of your willing population to investigate decoys. however, later in the year, it seems to me the male decoys in general can possibly have a negative effect, at least for me they have.....

With hen decoys you are not risking anything, more or less, just creating a visual for the seeking Tom. if you are in the woods, i might even not set up a decoy especially with the onset of emerging vegetation.....

many times i just leave the boys at home and set out a flock of ladies.

i also know the right bird in the right mood will charge PB/B-Mobile all spring long, but the bird in the wrong mood will bust out of there. i just do what i can to tip the odds in my favor.

this weekend however, we might set up PB for the morning hunt on Saturday morning only and see what happens. but after noon, i dont think we will use it at all.......

nothing is set in stone, but i feel better safe than sorry....

forgot to add this too.....

I asked the Primos boys at the national NWTF Convention this year if they thought a tom fan worked better than a jake fan or visa-versa, and they said they had no different reaction whatsoever.....

i think a strutting bird somewhat simulates dominance.... and birds that have been whooped a time or two might think twice about challenging a strutter regardless of their age.....

Jakes can be tough, especially in numbers... so i think it is 6 of one and half a doz of the other....

If the Tom is coming out with hens, putting out hen decoys will not bring him over until the hens go to nest. When they have them they don't like to leave them. I would still try the b-mobile. If the Tom is by him self then i would try hens only. It's really a 50-50 either way. I think it's all in the turkeys mood!

Top Bottom