Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Organic Food Plot weed control

W

WI Shedhead

I have a neighbor who lets me bowhunt on his property and we are going to put a few food plots in this tear. He has machinery to bush hog and work the plots. Heres the catch.

His wife and kids are allergic to every damn thing in the world and would be better off in a bubble tent and they donot want any chemicals used on thier proprty for weed control.

We are going to plant Antler king clover, Biologic premium perennial and evolved habitat blend with brassicas. I am worried that a new plot will get overun with weeds if we don't kill everthing off initially.

Anyone got any help?

WI Shedhead

Surprisingly,
I've had a similiar experience where I was unable to use chemicals for weed control as well. I simply cut the ground up (somewhat deep) and planted some clover. That first season was a weed paridise but the next year the clover came up early and suffocated the weeds. Now the stand is pure clover and weedless.

If it is a small plot you can do it the old fashion way. Pull, Pull, and Pull those weeds.

Good Luck to ya,

BT

There is still plenty of time to seed. Would discing or plowing and then coming back when weeds start to germinate and discing again and then maybe doing it one more time work? That may push you past the seeding window. Lot of work without the use of chem.

What about mowing weeds the first year? Seemed to work when we first established swithgrass and that is what we plan to do on our food plots.

Top Bottom