Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Our birds!!!

Thats really cool, congrats on the successful hunt. I'm 16 and my dad and I have been hunting for about 3-4 years. I think it is the coolest feeling to be able to share the harvest with some like your father. I know that I will never forget those times when we get to spend time together in the woods, even when we don't harvest something it is still fun.
laugh.gif

I hear ya. Eventually dad and I got to the point where we didn't really care if we got my bird or not. Didn't really matter, cause we had a blast!

Nate...great story and great picture on your web site of the bird. Sounds like you and your Dad had a great time working that Tom. I bet your Dad was more excited than you when he heard that gun go off. Great Job!
grin.gif

Congrats on the father/kid hunting teams. I took my son (CamoKid) out hunting this morning for the first time. Didn't know what to expect, but it turned out to be a lot of fun. We set up near a couple of gobblers on the roost, and it turns out we were right beneath several hens. They flew off, which made for more entertainment, as they were busted up, and tried to gather back where we were. I was sitting with Taylor, and he had one hen come within 6 yards. She was suspicious, but not real worried. That was a lot of fun. We saw a gobbler about 50 yards out, but he moved off with a couple of hens. We have one more try at it tomorrow, and it looks like my boy is already hooked on turkeys. I didn't think he could sit that still for so long... it was nice to be wrong.

CamoMan,
Chances are you won't be reading this before your guys head out tomorrow, but good luck! Hope you tag a big one.

MadisonB&C, thanks . . . it was an interesting morning. My boy wasn't able to go this morning, so I went out with a friend. We tried to bypass where the hens were roosting, and sat about 100 yards from there. Today there were no gobbles at all until after 7:00. Just before daylight, my partner said he could hear a turkey drumming. I haven't heard this sound before, and didn't notice it. When he heard it a second time, I gave him the binoculars, and he started searching the trees. Turns out there was a nice gobbler 40 yards away still on the roost. When I looked around the tree to see him, he flew off. We had gone right under his tree, and he had been watching us the whole time. We did go after another gobbler that seemed to be 'gettable'. He was gobbling real hard, and we got within about 70 yards. Then, a horse decided to cut through the timber, and ended that conversation. So . . .I have one more try at it. We'll try to get that first gobbler as he comes in to roost tonight. Low odds, but better than not going out at all.

Top Bottom