Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Own a CVA inline? Please read

My first black powder gun and first state muzzleloading championship was with a CVA. That gun had over 5000 shots through it when I sold it 15 years ago and it's still being used today. I still own a couple of them and don't worry in the least about them.
A tragic event that happened for sure but if you dig long enough, you can find mishaps with even top brands. IMO.
HR_CU_BL_10ML_3_op_800x570.jpg
[/img]

Stick with realistic loads, follow the rules, and these guns are unbelievably safe.
It's interesting that Mr.Erik Zenger just heard and reported what sounds like the prosecution's side of the story. I'd like to hear what the individual was loading into the gun when it failed.

Great post! Always good to hear different sides and opinions.

gun&bag.gif

Good post goatman, a very informative read. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
It will be interesting to see what other members think.

I have never owned a CVA in-line muzzleloader, I have looked at them but found them not to be what I was looking for in a firearm.

I have over the years owned several CVA sidelocks that worked very well for me. Both were purchased in the early 1980’s. One was a .45 cal & the other a .50 cal. They were both kit guns that I put together. I sold the .45 about 10 years ago to a friend who hunts with it every fall. He loves it.

I just recently sold the .50 cal sidelock after putting at least 1000 rounds through it. Very accurate gun, I saw no obvious adverse safety factors with it.

pawlinebrown.gif

feathers3.jpg

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shovelbuck</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Stick with realistic loads, follow the rules, and these guns are unbelievably safe.
</div></div>

Ah yes, the Toby Bridge's blow up. People sure get mileage out of that old photo. I'm pretty sure that is still the only documented barrel failure of a Savage ML10.

Toby was "testing" the gun in his self appointed role as a Savage spokesman. He shot <u>thousands</u> of hot loads through that gun before it blew up. At the time, he was trying a newly released three hole vent liner using the powder Lil' Gun, if I remember correctly. Both the three hole vent liner and Lil' Gun have dropped from use. Lil' Gun had the nasty habit that the finer particles settled to the bottom of the jug while the larger particles were scooped off the top for use. By the time a guy got to the bottom of the jug, the pressure per volumetric scoop had dramatically increased.

Every gun has the potential to be dangerous, muzzleloaders more so as the person loading the gun has more control than store purchased ammo. With that increased control comes some responsibility, if one values life and limb. I agree with Jay: "Stick with realistic loads, follow the rules, and these guns are unbelievably safe." /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stick with realistic loads, follow the rules, and these guns are unbelievably safe. </div></div>

Agree. There is almost always an error by the gun handler that causes these failures whether the owner ever admits it or not and I have seen pictures of many that have failed, including one of the brand I favor. In that case, the cause was 150 grains of smokeless powder.

Failure to properly seat the bullet. Double loads of powder or bullets. Forget to remove the ramrod. Wrong powder (smokeless). Bullet pushed in backwards. I am not a fan of Traditions or CVA, just not for me, but unless you do something wrong, it is unlikely that you'll see a failure like this and if you do make one of these mistakes, it doesn't matter which gun you own. Good luck and I hope I'm not standing anywhere near you!

It takes quite a bit to get a muzzleloader of any brand to blow. Obviously there was some misuse otherwise every gun maker would be out of business by now.

Top Bottom