Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Paper Tuning Works

SWIADEERHNTR

Come 'on Next Season....
This is my first year bow hunting so needless to say, I've been practicing shooting and as the season opener nears, I've grown more and more weary of my arrow groups. I just was not getting groups where I felt comfortable taking an animal ethically.

I finally got my field points to a baseball size group or less at 20 yds. However, when I finally got my broadheads (Muzzy MX-3's), my groups turned from a baseball to a full dinner plate size or worse (one missed the block target completely). I thought I was just doing something wrong with my form or technique. If that was all the better of a group I could shoot with broadheads, I thought I shouldn't even be shooting at a deer yet.

I had read about paper tuning but never did it. I thought well, my field point groups are decent so maybe my form isn't terrible although, I'm sure it's far from perfect. Well, after shooting broadheads I decided I had to make sure the bow was tuned to reduce that variable in my shooting. Now, I'm sure being a beginner, I will still create some variation in my shots but at least I could minimize the variation from the bow tuning.

Tonight, I got the paper tuning setup with a buddy. It was amazing! The tear looked just like one of the examples and I made the adjustment and noticed an instant improvement. A few more minor adjustments and my broadheads were matching my field points in a baseball sized group at 20 yds. There was only about 1"-2" variation left and right (arrows vertically aligned). I still have a little sight adjustment to do to get the vertical alignment improved but I was thoroughly impressed with the improvement.

Sorry to ramble on but I just wanted to share my experience. Not that I ever doubted the paper tuning method, I just wish I would've done it from the start!It definitely loosened the knot I had in my stomach with the season approaching.

Right on! Broadheads exaggerate an out of tune bow, A LOT. Fixed heads, especially Muzzys will show you exactly how out of tune or in tune a bow is. In my opinion if you can 't paper tune the bow and shoot perfect groups with fixed blades that match field points, the bow isn't worth owning.... no brand names will be given... :grin:

Glad you got it worked out, my confidence is always tested when shooting broadheads, but when they are cutting the fletching off the adjacent arrow and they are flying straight, it feels good!

:way:

Top Bottom