Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pass Thru

mole

Shot a doe Friday. She was 24 yards broadside, I shoot a Mathews Feather Max, 60lbs, gold tips with 100 grain thunderheads. Here's my question. The arrow entered in behind the right shoulder took out the lung and then "poked" a hole in the heart, there were no blade marks. Then the arrow took a 90 degree turn and exited out through the left rear leg. She only ran 60-70 yards, but what happened? Anyone have any ideas?
confused_em8.gif

What was the shot angle? To enter in the lungs and exit in the rear leg was it a quartering shot? Did the heart get poked by the rear of the arrow as she ran?

moleson

I see you are a fellow Newtonian! Well, I suppose I am not a real Newtonian, but I went to high school there. I also got to thinking, If I am correct....your father-in-law is a good friend (and neighbor to the west) to my Grandparents. And if you hunt on George's, you hunt right across the road from my families property. George is a good guy.....he even built the pond on our place. I bet I have even run into you one time or another when I have been with my Dad. By the way, have you been seeing many turkeys down towards the interstate way? We have been seeing more and more each year.
Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

Patrick,
The shot was broadside, slightly quartering away. The arrow was a complete pass thru and was laying a couple yards from the shot area.

GunnerJon,

You got it. I hunt George's. He is a great guy and a super father-in-law. You must be a Pierce. I have been seeing a lot more turkeys. Saw a flock of 20 about two weeks ago by the new pond. Haven't seen any big ones this year, just little ones. I'm still trying to get neighbors on board with some QDM. Rod counted 31 does last Thursday. We really need to thin them out.

moleson
I'm not a Pierce. My Grandparents (my mom's parents) are the Peaks that own the farm right east of George's. I'll let you figure out my last name....I don't like putting my last name on the internet
smile.gif
My family owns the property of timber, the pond and prarie grass right north and east of George's driveway (my uncle Geoff owns timber right next to us) I did a small part this year for QDM....I shot a doe early season muzzleloader, and I would shoot a lot more if I could give away some meat! Between my Dad and I, we have a LOT of meat. I know what you are talking about with all the does........last year during slug season, my brother-in-law and I saw 30 or so deer run by in one big group....and over 20 were does!

-GunnerJon

GunnerJon,
I know who you are now. I even helped George build that pond. I get confused since we build so many. He just built one two years ago for Bob and Dolly.
Are you hunting your Uncle Geoff's? I used to live in the house behind his. Keep hunting hard.

-moleson

moleson
Nope, I am not hunting on Geoff's, my early season muzzleloader doe was on a landowners tag,so I was on our side. My Dad is over around there almost every morning, though, bow hunting. He says he has really not seen that much buck activity, which is kinda disappointing. He has been seeing several little deer (big fawns) almost every day. I won't be back in the neighborhood to hunt until slug season....I love to just sit in the stand and let all the neighborhood hunters bump the deer to me. By the way, have you heard anymore stories about the mountain lion in the county line area?

-GunnerJon

Top Bottom