Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Peep sights in dark blinds?

ironwood

I started using a new DB BS5 blind this spring and had plenty of trouble seeing my sights through the peep durning the low light conditions of early morning. What size peep do you blind hunters use. Mine is none to big and I was thinking it could be most of the problem.

I use one with a magnum aperature...allows m to see a lot better in lower light plus the use of nice and bright fiber optics

yep the bigger aperature the better, if you were to double you peep size right now, 4 times as much light would come through
smile.gif
but since you cant really double you peep size, it can only help to go bigger, in low light situations
smile.gif

do you have light on your pins? This always helped me more than a bigger peep, especially out of a blind. I have been using the Nitro pins on my TR Matrix and they are just awesome. Several manufacturers have light kits available....I figured your handy dandy Double Bull pull cart had a 3 million candle power spot light rigged up to it.
evil.gif

Ok, if I run out and buy a light for my Copper John sights the turkey won't see that and stay clear? I am very curious if I can really get away with a light on my sights turkey hunting from a blind.

I may buy a light but I am definitely going to get a peep with a larger aperture today. I was talked into this peep by the shop owner, one they had behind the counter. I now realize the opening is half the size of the one on my previous setup. I did not think much about it until I was out with Madisonb&c this past Sunday morning in the blind. I suggested that he practice his draw and finding his sights in the low light before something happened and he said he had zero problems with the light. Looking at the two peeps side by side just now and it is all very clear.

Thanks for the input gents

Ironwood, you just need enough light to highlight the fiber optic of your pins. Some come in Blue, Purple etc. Need enough light to light the pins without creating a halo effect. I know Shredder uses a Tritium pin and has had great success. Your Copper John sight already has a threaded hole for the blue light they sell. Check with your shop and am sure they can set you up.

That light for the copper johns is perfect. no problems with anyone using it last year in the dbl bull blinds.
waytogo.gif

Try opening your eyes Ironwood.
Just kidding, I use the SuperPeep's on all my bows. You can change the size of the peep insert with out putting it on the press and reserving. They have about 6 different sizes to accomidate you. Good Luck

I was just reading this post, and it just came to me! Ironwood, just take the guy in the Tron outfit hunting with you. I'm sure his suit would provide more than enough light in the blind!
cool.gif
(I just wouldn't sit too close to him, though!
blush.gif
)

Top Bottom