Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

PERSIMMON & APPLE TREES

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
This is probably a topic I know a lot more about than both the Native Grasses and Women....
I have many Persimmon Trees on my land and Apple trees. I put much of the info on my website (which is just for fun of course) on where I got them, cost, care, etc. Persimmons are cheap (maybe $1 a tree), apples are production grade, grafted trees (I grafted some myself. the apple pictures stink (sorry)- the fence turned out way better than actually showing you the awesome 8' trees in the picture. Cause the Persimmons die at a far higher rate, they are much cheaper and I buy so many- I either do tree tubes (after 1 year to see which ones lived) or nothing, I buy 200-300 and just HOPE 25 make it to maturity. Apple trees on other hand are $7 a tree, almost all make it and are 6' the 1st year (almost 1" in diameter). The pictures are of 2 year old persimmon (started from seedling) and 2 growing seasons on grafted apple trees.

Persimmon....
Persimmons.JPG

Apple trees (surrounded by new CP-25 that's doing very well for being so young! (sorry- pictures are more like Apple tree fence-I'll get more/better pics!)...
AppleTrees&Fence.JPG

Apples&NativeGrasses.JPG

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I grafted some myself </div></div>

Sweet! Now you can teach me!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

They look great...lots of work involved in all of that for sure. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Nice orchard! I bet the deer stand at the fence just drooling! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I actually keep the deer INSIDE THE FENCE, it makes for better hunting, I am really working hard to MANAGE my 1/2 acre enclosure, we've seen some nice ones in there this year so hopefully I get lucky! I can't wait to check my trail-cams next week to see if there's some monsters in the enclosure I haven't noticed yet?!?! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

It will be awesome when I pull that fence down, I would guess I have 3 more years- I think about 6-7 years is about right to get them tall enough and sturdy enough (deer will eat everything on the tree), thankfully they grow fast. For now, I am giving them plenty of other choices BUT time really does go faster than you'd think (seems like I just planted these) and they'll have over 10 different apple varieties from over 130 trees along with pear & plum when I do pull the fence down, I think all the neighbors are getting excited for all the free fruit as well!

Top Bottom