Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Personal best

deadeye

The story...

Muddy ditched me to go comfort his wife and take the devil cat back. I got up nice and early and got my gear ready and went down to dad's new stand carrying my climber with my backpack loaded full of gear including the video cam. I got in the stand well before light and got all situated. I saw one buck before it was light enough to shoot - but he was far enough away. I see another buck right after first light - too far away. A bit later I see another buck too far away and thought about sitting that stand all morning. Then it went about an hour without seeing anything. My stomach was gurgling pretty good and I knew I had to take care of it. So I got down and took care of business and decided to head in further. I was going in the direction dad recommended and found a big scrape that had been hit recently. I walked the trail a bit further and found two more good fresh scrapes and see a couple rubs. I look ahead and it is pretty thick and see a big rub. I think don't go any further get your butt up a tree. I found a tree and got up it. I get my bow up and see 3 bucks together right away. Then see a couple bucks chase a doe by. One was doing the snort wheeze. That was pretty cool. Then bucks were all over. Finally they dispersed and I waited a bit and a nice 8 pointer made his way towards me. I thought finally a shooter. He gets closer and his rack shrunk a bit. I thought you give me a good shot and you are toast. I draw back as he moves through the thick stuff out about 30 yards. He stops behind [censored] that I can't get an arrow through and then is out of range. Oh well. About 15 minutes later I hear grunting and he comes back my way. He freshens a scrape and puts his hind legs together and pisses on himself. I thought you come by again and I am letting you have it. He came right at me. I should have drawn already but didn't. He stops and looks up right at me. Can't move. He takes a few steps and looks up at me again. Can't move. He finally got around me and lost interest, but was in the thick stuff. I draw back and he is walking too fast. I find an opening and grunt when he hits it, but he kept going. Grunt again and he stops where I have about a 3 inch window between 2 trees to shoot him quartering away right in the shoulder. Wait and he goes off. Crap...

I wait about a half hour without seeing anything. I look at my watch and think muddy should get home soon, but I also knew that spot was hot and I wanted to sit and tag one that morning. Thinking about getting down I hear a loud grunt and another. I stand up bow in hand looking for the buck. Finally a doe comes running in and stops in front of me aways. Hear the grunting again. Then she bots right past my tree and stops where I tried to shoot that other 8 pointer. I think this buck is going to go that way. Wait that is a really really good buck - SHOOTER. He stops on that first scrape and gives it heck. He then comes at me. He wasn't following the doe - he was taking the more open area to the other side of my stand. I had a scrape at about 8 yards that I thought he might head for. Nope, not sure where he is going. He is moving pretty fast and I draw back. He is in range and working on getting out of range. I find a good opening and grunt him and he keeps going. Another opening and grunt again. He stopped. Head was behind a tree. There is his shoulder, behind the shoulder, that high, hold steady, release. Perfect hit. Arrow through him like butter. He takes off like a hit deer and runs about 40 yards from the place I shot him and he stops. I am fumbling for the video camera and see him stagger. He is going down I think to myself - hurry up with the video cam. He goes down right there just as I get the camera out. Yes... Biggest buck to date and no tracking involved. Good double lung hit.

I made a couple calls from my cell phone while I calm down and then climb down the tree, recover my arrow, and take a look at my best trophy. He is 21 inches inside, field dressed 202, mainframe 10 point. Both g2's have stickers coming off that aren't long enough to score. He has a broken brown tine and a broken g3. Else he might have had to be mounted. When we skinned him it looked like he had taken a horn in the side a week or two before my shot. His hide healed over fine, but there was a flesh wound.

Pic's will be coming but muddy has the cam with the pics on it. I will also have a score the way he is and a score if his two points were not busted off.

Also I got my first fall turkey with a bow out of the bow stand a couple weeks ago. Three hens cam in and I smacked the one. Should be a good turkey day meal.

Good luck to everybody else.

ok, first off, great buck and congratulations deadeye, i wish i had been there.

secondly if my devil cat hadn't grown longer horns and me having to go home you would've been sittin up north with me and not shooting your best buck to date.

thirdly i think you should actually thank me for not having the "set of fortitude" to tell my wife 'no i'm not coming home, it's the rut, you deal with the cat'

tongue.gif
grin.gif

don't tell my wife i said that
eek.gif
kickass.gif
wah[1].gif

Talked to dad today and he scored him. He scores 139 and something. If he would not have broken two tines he would have scored approximately 161 something. Really wish he didn't have the two tines busted.

Will try to get pic's posted as soon as I get my cam.

You can see the exit whole in the middle of the shoulder.
126303NateBuck6-med.JPG

You can see the entrance whole pretty clear.

126303BowBuck1-med.jpg

126303NateBuck31-med.JPG

Top Bottom