Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pheasant Hunters

A

Admin

I have talked to several groups of bird hunters and they have been seeing huge bucks tending does this weekend. This goes along with the typical rut pattern in Iowa, the closer we get to Thanksgiving the better chance of seeing and harvesting a mature buck.

Glassing when your not hunting might not be a bad idea if your looking for a bruiser. I am having more luck in the AM then PM but I have had the time to stay in the field most of the morning.

Good luck to everyone!

TLH, Founder - iowawhitetail.com -

Was off all thismlast week,and seen most of my bucks checking bedding sites and cruising mid morn.and early after noon 8:30-2:30.

Saw about five bucks Saturday morning then jumped three more checking out another stand before heading out of the woods. Went to see a friends buck he'd shot the night before so I got in my stand a little later than I would have like Saturday afternoon.

Once in the tree I got set up and sat down to let everything settle and noticed a buck bedded about 120 yards away. Watched him for about a half-hour and then the wind picked up and he moved into the brush. Minutes later I heard some crunching and looked over to see him walking toward me. After a 20 yard shot I watched him drop on the ridge behind the stand. I was back in some thick stuff. Nice to have friends that are willing to help drag.

Went out this afternoon with a friend who has a broken ankle. We set him up in a ground blind and then I headed to a stand along a picked cornfield to fill a doe tag. Saw my first buck cruising the field edge about 3:00pm. About four I herd a nock down drag out fight start up in the brush behind me. It lasted about 30 minutes. Never saw the bucks but by the end I could here them wheezing? Never herd such a racket it was like someone was pushing over dead trees and blow downs.

Patrick

sullivan_9pt_01_a.jpg

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-18-2001).]

Way to go Pat, nice buck!

I rattled in 3 different buck Friday morning on a photo shoot, so I believe you on your "nock down, drag out fight" story.

Here is one of the rattle bucks...

uploaded111601HalfA.jpg

Contratz on the great buck!!!!!
lets hope that it still is hot this weekend
it'll be my last chance to hunt (sat)

Top Bottom