Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pines vs spruces

LoessHillsArcher

PMA Member
Cedars are off the table since the state nursery isn't going to be able to offer them for the next couple years the way it sounds (and I'm not sure if the MDC will offer them either?) So what is everyone's 2nd choice for evergreens.. spruces or pines? How hard are deer on these two trees? Right now we're leaning towards spruces and fencing as many as we can.

Spruces by far...I wouldn't waste a dime on pines....spruces provide far better screening long term but either will likely have to be fenced if you have any number of deer. They LOVE to scrub the daylights out of them every fall...:rolleyes:

I have 15 year old Norways that are still only 2' tall which is why I switched to red cedar...I would look for another source for red cedars versus any other conifer.

Coldstream Farms has reasonable prices and their are a host of other nurseries listed on the first page of the tree planting thread in Dbltree's Corner...:way:

spruce or pine

I would go with spruce as well, I really like spruce plugs rather than seedlings. Survival rate is excellent, growth is good. I do have some successful pine plantings in MN, but I do not think they would do as well in iowa...you could try some fast growing scotch pine and cage them..

Top Bottom