Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

plain old mineral lick/attractants?

muddy

I'm going to start a mineral lick for my trail camera as well as for some supplements to the bucks. I wondered what some of you use for attractants.

I know there are many recipes, but I do not have alot of land so one or two licks is enough, so have never gone the 50lbs of this and that, though I know your own is much cheaper. Salt blocks attract but I had one stolen once. So I have used Deer Cocaine. They say to replenish on package but once is soaked in ground, deer use it all summer even still at it this spring. Seems to last a long time.

If you really want the mineral to benefit the deer i would stay away from products like deer cocaine which is mainly salt.

If you want a mineral that will both benefit and attract than I would use antler kings mineral or Max Rack or something similar. In their ingredients salt only makes up about 20-24% of the ingredients w/ the rest being mineral of some sort. You want ones that are high in calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium because those are what make up the most ingredients in a bucks antlers.

The salt is what they want but they get the mineral when they eat it. That's why I like ones that are low in salt and high in minerals. They benefit both bucks antlers and nursing does.

I would then refresh it every 3-4 weeks depending on your deer density.

i would also put it a plastic tub or something so it doesnt seep into the ground when it rains, or they will eat the dirt, LONG after the lick is gone. this way you can hunt near the lick site after it has been removed and the deer shouldnt be on a patternable movement to the lick site. if you dont, i know lots of CO's that will ticket you if you hunt within a couple hundred yards of that.

just fyi, im sure you already knew that, but i mentioned it just in case.....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If you just want to get pics I would use trace mineral salt, the brown stuff. Just dig a small hole and dump it in.

I use trace mineral salt and stock salt mixed 50/50 to get pictures in the early season.

Seems to work pretty good.

Nice big bag of apples works equally well.

I use a mix of road/rock salt and a calf mineral that I get from my local feed store. The mineral is farely cheap and is mostly calcium, but has some phosphorus and magnesium. They really are coming for the salt.

I always spread my mix on stumps and then continue to do so until the stump is long gone and then onto the ground.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ScottI.C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you just want to get pics I would use trace mineral salt, the brown stuff. Just dig a small hole and dump it in.
</div></div>

I agree, only $7 bucks for 50#'s at my local feed store and I just dumped it on the ground. If your not going to be hunting near it in the future then "eating dirt" is a natural thing that wildlife have done for years as they get plenty of minerals from that as well.

I posted cam pics from mine earlier...I dumped the salt in the morning and by night they were all over it. No digging...just dumped it out.

I have got literally thousands of pics over the past month...wore out brand new lithium batteries even /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Nothing wrong with mineral, putting it in a tub, etc, etc,...but if you just want pics...they just want salt /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

MineralLick-2.jpg

Top Bottom