Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Planting acorns?

streitl

Has anybody ever harvested their own acorns and then planted them? I am not thinking of doing anything large scale, just a few trees to plant around my parents' place. My mom has wanted an oak tree for awhile. What type of tree would you recommend planting (White, bur, pin, or some other subspecies?) There isn't much for trees in their yard besides a few blue spruce and some dogwoods. It's a pretty open yard where they would get a lot of sun. I would really appreciate any input. Thanks!

Last fall there was a bumper crop of acorns here in NW Iowa, I picked up a quart or so from several different locations where I had trail cams set and planted them about this time last fall. I just loosened the soil in a 2 foot strip and plant 3 acorns (w/o the caps) in each strip about 2" deep. I did this in my new rows of seedling bushes where I lost one and had a gap. I think at least one grew in every place I planted them. Often all 3 grew. Some are only 2" tall now and the largest are 12" maybe. I'll cull down to 1 in each location if any make it to 18" or so. I hope they were making a root system this year and will get growing a little quicker in the next years. Plant plenty, I'm sure the squirrels and rabbits will be hard on them the first winter or 2!

i start some almost every year. i try to start them in the garden, then move them to the yard after a couple years.

Plant the white oak ground right away and they will start growing this fall. The red's can stay damp in the fridge and be planted next spring. Works great for me.

never done the acorns...have done it with walnuts which has to be somewhat similar...but the walnuts we did grew fantastically...we basically just tilled up roughly a half an acre and spread the walnuts through out generously, we couldn't have gotten better weather so that def. contributed to the large quantity of growth

Thanks for the help everybody! I have a few planted in some pots. I will transplant them maybe next spring or the fall.

might wanna look into these containers so you can give them a real boost the first year. They work great for me and really allow the seedlings to get a good healthy root system the first year. Transplant shock is almost non-existent since the entire root ball gets transplanted.

www.roottrapper.com

Top Bottom