Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

planting switchgrass in Aspen

dcarty85

We have 360 of second growth aspen with marshes running throughout the property. gets very wet in the spring. my question is do you guys think it is possible to plant switchgrass in an established stand of second growth aspen? I want to do either this or live brush with a couple of acres near my stand. soil is a lot of clay with a high PH. need help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcarty85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We have 360 of second growth aspen with marshes running throughout the property. gets very wet in the spring. my question is do you guys think it is possible to plant switchgrass in an established stand of second growth aspen? I want to do either this or live brush with a couple of acres near my stand. soil is a lot of clay with a high PH. need help. </div></div>

Switchgrass is prairiegrass that needs to be burned every few years, so it does not mix with trees. Most likely you'll want to cut your aspen in blocks to vary growth and keep some areas thick for bedding areas.

If you decide to clear some areas in the aspen then switchgrass might work if it doesn't flood. Switchgrass likes moist rich soil but not extended flooding.

Top Bottom