Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plot Prep?

ty515

I am first of all looking for ideas. I have a peice of ground in SE iowa that I am looking at putting 2-3 one acher plots on. The terrain is mostly open and is either in row crops or grazed cattle pastures. They do not run cattle on this land anymore but is well maintained by her father.

Questions I have.

1)I would like to get a start this spring. When should I round up the areas I would like to plant? The areas are mostly just grass I plan on discing up to start my seed bed.
2) Should I till or no till?
3)What is the break down I should use as far as spring vs. fall plots? I would like to not only grow the deer but be able to use these plots to hunt over later in the fall.
4)I was thinking for spring some wheat, oats, and chicory mixed in with some sunflowers, would this be a good mix to start with? Fall: turnips, rye, and what else?

There are numerous grain and alfalfa feilds nearby so I am looking for a mix that would suppliment those food sources.

I have learned alot from this site and it's knowledgeable members just by surfing this fourm so thanks for the info ahead of time.

chris

In a perfect world, I'd always spray most brome grass in the fall because it is easier to kill. Spring spraying sometimes doesn't "take" as well, I don't know why. Disking a couple times will kill some sod and may help get a good kill if you wait a couple weeks after working the ground.
As far as till or no-till, I would most often prefer no-till but I have to rent a drill when needed so unless I'm doing the bigger plots I tend to till a bit and broadcast most of the time. Both will give acceptable results. Depends on what equipment you have and also the slopes and soil you intend to plant. NRCS office may restrict where, when, & how you plant depending on a conservation plan.
If you are in an area with lots of beans, corn, and alfalfa- you may want to try clover, rape, turnips, or just more of what they are already eating but leave it in the field for times that other sources are gone. This is the fun part- trying to dream up and decide what to do.
Good Luck!

Pharmer- thanks for the response. I saw the pics of the turnip patch you planted this last season on a post. What variety of turnips were those? Did you just disc and broadcast and at about what time of the year did you plant that crop? Those pic were inpressive! I am new to this and am doing as much homework and listening to those who have done this in the past with success as possible. Once again thanks for the info.

chris

Turnip plot this year was a last minute thing- picked up a bag of "Shot Plot" walking through the store.
That field had been in rye the fall before so it was mowed and then disked a couple times in July. We sprayed it with a dose of Round up a couple weeks later and then I ran the disk over it about 2nd or 3rd week in August, broadcasted the seed and ran the buster bar from the disk over it to cover it. My first year with turnips- I did manage to hit the rain perfect so that really helped. No additional fertilizer but the field had been limed the year before.

Ty, been doing some food plots myself. Clover and chicory mix for protein during spring and summer. Winter wheat, rye, oats, turnips mixed for a fall and winter plot. Cant go wrong.

Top Bottom