Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Plots in and a couple of questions

kfin

Hello all,

Well with the forecast saying showers several days for the next week, I went out and tilled my plots again and got them broadcast tonight. I planted 1 acre of ww, 1 acre of rye, and 1 acre of purple top turnips and dwarf essex rape.

It rained this afternoon before I got out there and the ground worked really well with the tiller. I had gone over it twice before in the last month.

I was broadcasting in the dark!! on the last field.
smile.gif
My question is this, should I go back out tomorrow and take my chain harrow over all of this? Or if it rains between now and then, will that take care of it? I don't have a cultipacker yet so I would have to use the chain harrow.

One other question is about fertilizer. I didn't get a chance to put it on tonight either. SHould I get it on there tomorrow or wait for a while? If waiting, how long.

Thanks for any tips,
Keith

[ QUOTE ]
Hello all,

Well with the forecast saying showers several days for the next week, I went out and tilled my plots again and got them broadcast tonight. I planted 1 acre of ww, 1 acre of rye, and 1 acre of purple top turnips and dwarf essex rape.

It rained this afternoon before I got out there and the ground worked really well with the tiller. I had gone over it twice before in the last month.

I was broadcasting in the dark!! on the last field.
smile.gif
My question is this, should I go back out tomorrow and take my chain harrow over all of this? Or if it rains between now and then, will that take care of it? I don't have a cultipacker yet so I would have to use the chain harrow.

One other question is about fertilizer. I didn't get a chance to put it on tonight either. SHould I get it on there tomorrow or wait for a while? If waiting, how long.

Thanks for any tips,
Keith

[/ QUOTE ]

If it doesn't rain I would spread fertilizer and then run the chain harrow over it to lightly cover the seed.

If it does rain that will most likely do the trick but then you'll have to wait to add fertilizer...you don't want to be packing the soil over newly sprouting seedlings.

Thanks dbltree. It didn't rain last night, so if it hasn't by the time I am off of work I will go fert and drag.

I will be using a "hand spreader" due to not having any other option right now. I was going to put 100 lbs of Urea 46 on it per acre.

Well I was in a hurry again today. No rain last night so I went ahead and got my fertilizer on. On the rye plot and the ww plot I put Urea 46 on at 100 lbs per acre. On the purple tops and rape I put 20-10-10 at 100 lbs per acre. Now just hoping for rain.

I didn't drag any of it. If it doesn't look like rain tomorrow I will drag the ww and rye but not the other.

Pictures coming tomorrow. Though all it looks like is dirt currently.
grin.gif

Thanks for the advice guys,

Top Bottom