Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Preparing Shafts For Fletching

katy

Ballagh
Being that it is that time of year. I thought I might post this for those people who are wanting to learn to refletch or fletch your own arrows.

The following instructions are for preparing aluminum, fiberglass, carbon, and aluminum-carbon arrows. Unless the fletching jig has an adjustable nock indexing feature, fletch the arrows with the nocks temporarily installed. After fletching, index and bond the nocks so that vanes clear the arrow rest. Carefully wipe just the area of the shaft to be fletched with lacquer thinner, acetone, or Methyl Ethyl Ketone wuntil no residue shows on a clean white paper towel. Wipe the base of the vanes with the same solution, Oil on the base of the plastic vanes can prevent adhesives from adhering to them.

-Do not touch the cleaned areas with hands or other objects.
-Fletch or dip as soon as possible. If shafts stand unfletched for over 8 hours, repeat the cleaning process.
-Shafts cleaned in the above manner can be fletched direct;y using fletching cement or glue. For added adhesion, a thin dip of lacquer or coating compatible with the cement can be used.
-Do not attempt to fletch or dip on humid days.
-For installing arrow wraps, it is best to use a mouse pad to roll the arrow across. Lay the wrap out flat on the pad. Then line your arrow up with the bottom of the nock insert square to the shaft, and slowly roll across. Making sure there are no bubbles and it is straight.

Nocks
Correctly aligned nocks are as important to shooting acuracy as a good bow string, straight arrows, or other equiptment. A nock misaligned just a few thousndths of an inch can affect the point of impact on a target by as much as 6 inches at 50 yards.

-Repeat cleaning procces as mentioned above.
-Apply a large drip of fletching cement to the clean nock taper surface.
-Spread a even layer of cement around the taper
-Quickly press the nock on the taper.
-Rotate the nock several times on the nock taper counterclockwise to spread the cement evenly. Then rotate clockwise until the nock groove is properly aligned and the nock is firmly seated on the nock taper.
-Wipe excess cement from the nock base and allow at least 2 hours before shooting.

REMOVING BROKEN NOCKS FROM ALUMINUM ARROWS.

Soften the nock over a heat sourse and gently seize the softened plastic with pliers and twist off. Clean the nock swage as described above. Nocks should never be cut off with a knife. The shaft nock taper should never be sanded or scraped. Sanding or scraping can distort the cone shape and put flat spots on the taper which can adversly affeft nock straightness.

If all else fails, go to your local pro shop.

Good Luck
Hope it helps someone out.

Thanks for the tips, supertec! I've been considering building my own arrows. This is very helpful. What fletching jig and arrow saw do you recommend for a beginner?
confused.gif

I use a the one at the pro shop. I always make sure I deburr the insides of the arrowshaft after cutting them. Then I just have one jig with extreme right helical that I use for every vane that I put on. Consistence is the key. I think you get a more accurate arrow that way. JMO

Top Bottom