Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Pretty boy question

dblmainbeam

Last year I went and bought a pretty boy. Took the fan from my previous years turkey for a real fan. Looks great. The ground I hunt is pretty small. Lots of turkeys. I almost always set up before sun up about at least 100yards away from the roost. Do you think a Tom all fanned out before they come out of roost within site would spooks a rooted bird? I sure didn't have any luck with the pretty boy.

I will not set up within site of the roost if I am using decoys. Set up around a corner or where they are going. But when they can sit on the roost and inspect your decoys you can bet they are not going to pitch down to them. This is not a rule because we have had it happen when we didn't know a bird was in the area but generally it is not a good idea.

That what sucks. Its impossible to set up out of site. The spot is so small and the trees there in are on top of a hill. Any ideas of how to set up.

If it's a small area put your decoys out close to your blind but on the opposite side of your blind that the turkeys are roosting. They won't see them from the roost and when they fly down and hit the ground they'll take a look around and BAM, there they are.

I've never had this actually work, but I've had turkeys fly into my field rather than study the deeks and fly the other way.

Top Bottom