Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

public land

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

Cooter

I was wandering when the state is going to start using food plots. I know they think we have too many deer now but I think that food plots would help by bring more deer to public land giving more hunters the chance to harvest more deer.Plus most public land that I know of are away from high trafic roads keeping the deer from traveling to find food may help with deer car accedents. So does anyone else think this a good idea or should they just keep on planting more grasses like many other CRP feilds???? It is money coming from the hunters dont you think food plots would help hunter and game alike? Not just deer but turkey pheasants and many other animals.

They plant substantial food plots at the Hawkeye wildlife area between IC and CR. I donated left over seed corn to them one year. Plus, they rent some ground out to local farmers and it is written in the lease that they have to leave a certain portion of the crop stand. I would guess they do this because of the size of this chunk of ground (it's Army Corp of Engineers, so maybe the feds do things a little different than the state). It's been about 15 years since I hunted Shimek State Forest in SE IA, but when I did they had food plots there. Which public lands are you refering to? I imagine size has a factor in whether they plant food plots.

Cooter,

There are quite a few public areas I know of where there are food plots as well. They don't do much early when crops are still in the field, but I think they help some late season when food's scarcer.

The one I see have a some standing corn left in them but they are upfront near the parking areas and see alot of hunters so deer dont stay in the area plus no ears on any stalks I was thinking more along the line of clover or some other green food source that keeps growing not something thats there for short time. It would also be there in the spring when deer need it most.

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom