Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for blindsow...

Blackfoot

I have always had an interest in becoming a conservation officer, and I was wondering if there were any activities available for a teen to gain some kind of experience that would be helpful for preparing him in this field. Any information from yourself, or others currently/previously involved in this field would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
- Renegade Archer

A four year degree is virtually needed to have any chance of becoming a conservation officer, whether in Iowa or in any other state. Your major should be in fish and willdife, biology or some other related field. You can still get hired without those majors but it is a little more difficult.

If you are still in high school there isn't any law enforcement job with the DNR, however, if you are at least 18 (I believe) there is a possibility of getting summer work either at a state park or with your local County Conservation Board. Check at those places. I know at Lake Manawa they rehire many of the kids from the previous year but look for new ones to replace those that have graduated (from college) and moved on.

When you are in college one of the best ways to prepare for becoming a CO, or at least seeing if this is really what you want to do, is to apply for our Water Patrol Officer position. This is a summer law enforcement position in which the WPO assists the local CO by patrolling the area lakes and rivers. Here in Pottawattamie County, the only WPO position in southwest IA, the position is assigned to Lake Manawa with some patrolling on the Missouri River.

Besides working in conjunction with the CO you will patrol the lake by yourself. Application for this position is made the first part of the year and selection is made around this time.

This past Saturday in Ames, IA about 12 COs (including myself) interviewed 20 candidates for 11 WPO positions scattered around the state.

This summer position is a very good stepping stone to getting hired as a CO in Iowa. Many of the WPOs end up working for several summers while going to school. This not only gives them a chance to get a good feel of what is required to become a CO, it gives us the chance to evaluate the WPO to see if he/she will "fit" in.

Hopefully, this answers your question. If you have any more don't hesitate to ask.

Doug Clayton

State Conservation Officer

Blindsow, thank you for your reply. I found it very thorough and informative. I live relativly close to Lake Manawa, and was aware of the summer positions available there, but I am not yet 18. When the time comes, hopefully I will be able to partake in such an oppurtunity, and once again, Thank you!

-Renegade Archer

Top Bottom