Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question for the "No Fiberglass" bow people

Shovelbuck

Although there's not many of us here that shoot selfbows or natural laminated bows, I was wondering............How often to you "flex" your bow during the off season or anytime for that matter.

I have four longbows that are either selfbows or wood laminated. I don't worry about the one that gets shot all the time, but get concerned about the other three that hang around collecting dust. For this reason, I try to get each one down at least every couple months, string it up and at the very least, limber them up by drawing about half a dozen times. Preferably, I'll shoot them but not always.

Do you guys do something similar, or am I being overly worried about them drying out and stiffining up?

Bowmaker? Matchedset? anyone else with ideas or thoughts?

P1010003-Copy.jpg

Jay - I don't want to hijack your thread, but it caused me to think of this question. My younger son, now 15, is also really into archery hunting now AND works with me on various woodworking projects and seems to really have a knack for it and enjoy it. In fact, our current project is a "butcher block" style bow case for his compound bow. Most of the wood we are using was scavenged from a friend of mine who had his timber harvested a few years back and I was able to take what the logger didn't take, etc.

At any rate, I was thinking that it might be nice to build a bow together, with wood from our own farm hopefully. We do have a few osage orange trees that I suspect would be the ones to use. How viable of an idea do you think this would be? Although I have never built a bow, I am a very experienced woodworker with a pretty good setup as far as tools go.

I ask you because you are obviously a craftsman and the stuff you make is always very impressive and enjoyable to see.

I don't build bows so I don't have a good answer for you. Only bow I did was putting new backing then retillering of an old longbow. PM Bowmaker or matchedset. There's also some good info on the net for building your own. I'll look tonite at home, I think I have several still saved. If so, I'll pm them to you.

Wish I could offer an opinion but I don't YET have a selfbow. Nice pic though if you don't mind my saying. :grin:

I do have a Hickory selfbow at home, and don't shoot it often enuff. Never thought about exercising it though? Prolly could get some good advice about it on tradgang or primitive archer.

Daver, you need to come down to Marshall, Mo, the 3rd weekend in July, to MoJam....Mo Ozark Selfbow Jamboree. You and your son should be able to build a working bow in a couple of days, with the help you'll find there!!!!

With modern adhesive I doubt it is much of an issue with a laminated one.. Probably not for the self bow either.
If they have been sleeping for a while it's good to wake them slowly.
Then ob the other hand it just sounds like a good reason to fling a few arrows now and again, anyway.
Just don't flex them the wrong direction...

Prolly could get some good advice about it on tradgang or primitive archer.
Primitive archer sounds ok, but it would be a cold day you know where before I ever went back to TG again. I burnt my bridges there when I told that ego maniac that runs the show where to put his Delta bow.:mad:

Then on the other hand it just sounds like a good reason to fling a few arrows now and again, anyway.

Yes it does Ken, we need to do that more next year. Maybe the sandbar will still be there next year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom