Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question on Trophy Taker arrow rest

CamoMan

I recently switched from a NAP arrow rest to a Trophy Taker rest. I bought it and had it installed at Central Iowa Archery (cause I wanted it done right). I shot with it for the first time today. This is my first experience with a drop away rest, and I have a couple questions. Is it normal for the rest to jump at a certain point in the draw, instead of standing up gradually throughout the draw ? That is what is happening about 2/3 through the draw, even when pulling back slowly. Also, is there a good way to quiet the area where the arrow contacts the rest ? It makes enough of a sound when the arrow rattles against the rest that I think deer would notice it if they were close enough. I know several of you use this rest, and I would appreciate your input.
Thanks !

I think when the knot hits the rest is when it jumps, but other than that I think it is pretty smooth. I wish I would've bought the rest with the wider prongs so the arrow wont slip off, but oh well. I put some of that soft tape all around that rest where the prongs come in contact with the arrow and mine dosent make a sound.
hope that helps, good luck.
893USA1-thumb[1].gif

Camoman, it sounds like your rest was set up properly. I believe you want the rest to drop out of the way asap therefore it elevates into position during the last 2/3 of the draw cycle.

Next time you go into CIA have one of the guys set up an arrow holder and cover it with moleskin. Once they complete this your setup will be deadly silent and your arrow will stay in position until it is drawn.

Good Choice
waytogo.gif

893archer-thumb[1].gif

That jump could also be a product of the way your bow pulls. With a harder cam, the more radical the pullover and the sharper that rest pulls up (in extremes it looks like a catapult). Try pullin the bow back a little slower and smoother thru the break and the "hop should stop". Enjoy the great rest.
beerchug.gif

Go to your local hardware and purchase the foam weather stripping with the adhesive backing the thickness you need.

Thanks for the info, guys. I think I'm going to like it when I get used to it. One Cam, what is this arrow holder you mentioned, and how does it work? All I've had in the past is the Sta-jac arrow holders for the other type of rests. Originally, one of the guys at CIA mentioned something about an arrow holder, but when I went back to get the rest put on, another guy said there wasn't anything like that. I'll stop out Friday and see what they've got. Thanks !

Just got back from Central Iowa Achery, and they took care of the problem. The guy put some moleskin on the fork of the rest, and that quieted it, plus it kept the arrow from bouncing off. I like going there - they have always been real helpful.
smile.gif

Camoman,
You've probably got you're problem figured out, but I'll throw this at ya anyway. The actual fork of the rest should have some felt or moseskin applied to it for noise reduction, which is what you did. You should also have a molded arrow guide in front of the rest. Its half-tubed shaped and keeps you're arrow from falling off when you're rest isn't up. Its also what you're arrow slides back on through 9/10 of your draw. You're arrow should only contact the actual rest the last couple of inches of your draw. You've probably got it figured out already, just wanted to make sure you were getting the most out of it.
CRITRGITR

Thanks for the info, CRITRGITR. The setup you described is just what the CIA guys did with my bow. The arrow guide was put on there when the rest was installed, but the big difference was when they added the moleskin on the fork of the rest. I do have one question, however. Does it make a difference how the fletching is lined during the shot? I'm thinking not, since it doesn't contact the rest on the release. I shot a few arrows with the odd vane down, and it shot very well. Thanks !

as far as how the fletching is turned is of personal preference...and if you need the extra clearance. myself, i needed to turn the odd feather up instead of down. i don't know if i NEEDED to do that or not but mentally it makes me feel like i'm getting better clearance and thus, a better shot. whatever trips the proverbial trigger for ya.

There is a product that is called the "Tong Thong" and they now make one specially for the trophy taker. It is sewn leather and it is absolutely silent. I love it!

Bowman

I got mine from the Wild Outdoors site but I saw them in either the Cabelas Archery Catalog or the Bass Pro. Again, I would strongly recomend them. The only down fall is that you have to glue them in place but so far no problems!

Bowman

Top Bottom