Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Question?

luvtohunt

Looking for some advice,

The place where I bowhunt is a mixture of timber, crp, and corn. The large tract of timber is around 200 acres, and low and behold the land owner just finished selectively logging it. My question is, have any of you experienced this before, and if so, how long does it take for the deer to resume there normal activities and in your opinion, will logging activity push the mature bucks out of the area for a long period of time? The loggers did not clear cut any where, however there are numerous new logging trails cut, and many tree tops laying on the ground.

Thanks for your input

Luvtohunt, This exact same thing has just happened to me and I have found the mature bucks outside the cut zone. Due to the consistant disturbance I have seen the mature bucks move out of their normal timber hideouts and into the CRP and crop fields. But with the rut in the near future I have seen the bucks move back into the timbers edges and they are leaving a ton of sign. My guess is by the time rut hits they will be back to the same old routine. I have also helped things along by opening up some of the trails that were plugged up by all the tops left by the loggers. Even took advantage of some of debris and cut paths that funnel the deer right into shooting range. So if the landowner doesn't mind get in there and create the perfect set-up! The deer aren't to spooked by the chainsaws at this point. Just my opinion. Happy Hunting! T$

Luvtohunt this has happened to me the last two years on different pieces of land. The first year they logged in the summer and I shot a buck Nov. 5. The place was full of does that year and has only gotten better since. All those tops turned it into a bedding haven. I would agree with Thunder go ahead and make your own funnels now especially if they just logged it. Deer are awful curious creatures, the does should move back in soon, especially with all the corn going out. And when they do, you know where the boys will be come the first week in November!!!!
grin.gif

I agree with the guys that are talking about making funnels. All the cut branches left will make perfect brush to do that.

Try to locate those funnels in a saddle or depression where deer already were moving before the logging.
When you take a vegetative funnel and combine it with a topographical one, you increase the chances of deer using it.

Top Bottom