Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Questions about Deer Hunting Tactics.

loneranger

Greetings,Iowa Gentlemen, The supposed Deer hunting expert, that sold me some property, has given me his opinions on Iowa Hunting Tactics. I would like to tap into your vast wealth of experiences and compare to what he told me.I have been told that,"Rattling"most times attracts younger bucks. Older ones have gotten wise.Been told scents have little effect."Mock Scrapes", little effect.Do you men use calls much? Just if you see a buck, or do you call to attract unseen deer? Grunts,Doe bleats, what gets more response?I appreciate your sharing your knowledge! THANKS! Loneranger.

I personally use grunt calls from the opening day on. I have called in 7 bucks in 3 days during October 1-3 just using a grunt call, when most people don't even bother bringing their grunt tube along that early in the season. I have also had big mature bucks come right in to my doe estrus scents and come up and lick the wick that the scent is on. It all depends on what the conditions are at certain times. But my favorite weapon in my calling arsenal is deffinately the grunt call. I have called in too many bucks to not use it!

well loneranger this is my opinion based on the experiences i have had. i have hunted areas where rattling works and don't work and here is why i think rattling works and don't work. when it comes to rattling i feel that wether you rattle or not depends on how many bucks could possibly be in your area. the reason i say that is if you go and hunt an area where there is a big buck around every tree rattling will more than likely be effective for the simple fact that there is a need to establish dominance in this area and it is something that these bucks have heard before and probably participated in. if you hunt an area where there aren't as many bucks around then rattling will seldom be effective for the simple reason that if there aren't many bucks around then there is really not much need for establishing dominance and in this type of area i don't think that the majority of the bucks in the area have ever heard, seen, or participated in a fight so therefore i feel that the sound of antlers banging together would just be alien to them even a little sparrel. but can't really think of one time my grunt or scent wasn't effective. but that is my personal experience with rattling. does it make sense?
waytogo.gif

Last fall I headed to the woods with my rattlin' antlers, grunt tube, and estrous bleat can. I spotted a buck with 5 does in a bean field at least 200 yards away. I picked up the grunt tube and used it repeatedly for 5 -10 minutes with no effect. Then, the estrous bleat call. Again, to no avail. This went on for another 10 min. until a light bulb went off in my peanut size brain! Pick up the antlers and crash them together.......why not? As soon as I started, the buck's head spun around and immediately tried to pin point my "where abouts". After a 2nd sequence here he come! He ran 3/4 speed all the way across the bean field for 200 plus yards to meet my 100 grain thunderhead. Up until that point, nothing was working. Not one buck responded to any calling or rattling. If I wouldn't have had all of my arsenal with me, no doubt the buck would have ventured off with those does and no shot would have occurred. I'm a firm believer in trying anything and everything to fool these whitetails. You never know!!!

Thank you much Bigshooter16, splitG3 and Firedog. Your comments were very helpful. Not sure why guy selling land to me in Southeast Iowa says not much works for him. Guess everyone has own experiences. Here in N. Mich,where I live, Rattling,scents,grunting, seldom do a thing.90% of our bucks are yearlings,never heard such sounds or scares them.That's why I am buying land in Iowa.So consensus so far is try everything.Question? Do you take all your tactics out each hunt, try one then another to see if response,even if no deer spotted? Or are some days better than others.And how many days a week do you hunt a particular stand?How much a week is overhunting a stand.I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge with me!The Loneranger.

The best advice I can give is maximum scent control, hunt as much as you can (you can't get them sitting on the couch), and if you are seeing deer in one spot then hunt it. You can burn a stand out buy leaving scent everytime you enter and exit the woods. Try to watch the deer and pattern them in the early season (food sources) and then during the rut FIND THE DOES. If they are in estrous, there will be a buck somewhere close. Good luck!

Top Bottom