Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Rebuild of an old friend

Shovelbuck

aaa.jpg

Almost thirty years ago when this gun was built, I thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. But, thirty years ago, I didn't come close to knowing what I know now about these period pieces.
I'm not one to have my muzzleloaders be absolutely historically or period correct, but there should be some basics that make them what they are.
A friend built this gun for me so I've had a hard time bringing myself to change it, but after the stock broke again in two places this past winter, along with the lock needing repair, I felt it was a good time to make some changes since the stock was going to be sanded anyway.

The gun had no lock panels which really made it look strange. Along with a butt ugly cheek piece and the fore arm sides being straight, not rounded, it was time to see if it was salvageable. The wrist, or lack of is incorrect also but it's already pretty small and I don't want to make it any weaker than it already is.
Here's a few pics of what I will be changing on this rebuild.

nolockpanel.jpg

wristshapedwrong.jpg

squareforearm.jpg

cheekpiecetoobig.jpg

If you look at the back of the lock plate you can see one of the breaks. That one runs clear around to the opposite side. There is another break about 3/4 inch above that one, and when I pulled the gun apart, that entire piece of wood fell off! There was another large piece that came off the fore arm.
I've been working on it most of the day and will post more photos of the progress when the repairs start looking better.

I like it !!!!

The rebuild / repairs turned out well. The breaks were glued then I hand forged a few flat staples and used them to reinforce the breaks. Old guns were repaired this way so I figured might as well do it also.
For finish, I gave it an antique and worn look.
I should of made these changes years ago.

DCP_1176.jpg

DCP_1177.jpg

DCP_1179.jpg

DCP_1181.jpg

Top Bottom