Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

rebuilding a pond

hillrunner

PMA Member
I am having my pond pumped out and dug out this month. As it sits now it does not seal. I am planning on hauling in clay to put as a base after digging it out. Anyone with any experience in this know how thick of a clay base I should need. Was thinking about half a foot but not sure if that's enough. I only want to do this once , so Ill bring in more if needed. thanks

Someone at the NRCS office might be able to at least point you in the right direction. The fellas that construct ponds and dikes should know and NRCS should at least have contacts with reputable contractors. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

How old is your pond? Has it always leaked? What soil types is it built on? How large is the pond? Do you know what size watershed? Is this an excavated pond or a pond built with a dike? Are there any tile that go through, under, or near the pond?

If you determine why and where your pond is leaking, you may not need to line the bottom with clay. Feel free to send me a PM, I deal with these issues on a regular basis.

Troy

I didn't own the property til last year but I believe the pond is about 8 yrs old , Ive been told it has run dry in the past so I assume it has never sealed. The pond is about an acre at best when full.The pond was built with a dike , but there was some excavation done. I don't know of any tile , their is a culvert under the dike looks to be about a 12" but the water is nowhere near that at this point.
The pond is currently only 7 feet when at the culvert but I plan on excavating it to at least 15 feet at deepest for fish survival. I apreciate any help !

Is there any flowing water within 200-300' downstream from the dam? Is the pond built in an area where there is sandy soil or near any outcropping of limestone or rock?

Top Bottom