Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Red oaks

Hardwood11

It is going to be a good fall!
I have some red oaks planted in MN, that are growing really well, yet to have acorns...I plan on planting some next year and tube/cage them down in IA.

Anyone have experience with planted red oaks and when they first produced acorns. I hear anywhere from 10-20 years, just checking to see if anyone has any producing--that they planted.

I have some planted that are doing really well, no acorns yet, but I'd suspect that to happen anytime. They are 7-8 years old now and look extremely healthy.

MDC XL seedling

Looks like the ones from acorns caught up to this guy already also...planted the same year as seeds instead of 3-4' trees.

Save yourself a headache and skip the tubes. Way to much work unless you are fully committed to maintaining them. Just keep the deer off of them and they will do what they are designed to do.

I planted a 2 1/2" ish red oak in my yard in 2012. It produced acorns for the first time in 2021. There weren't many - maybe 10 to 15. I direct seeded them all around my yard and most of them germinated. It produced again this year - a significant drought year - and many of the nuts were bad. That said - I direct seeded maybe 15 or so off that tree this year out of maybe 50 or so that dropped.

I planted a 2 1/2" ish red oak in my yard in 2012. It produced acorns for the first time in 2021. There weren't many - maybe 10 to 15. I direct seeded them all around my yard and most of them germinated. It produced again this year - a significant drought year - and many of the nuts were bad. That said - I direct seeded maybe 15 or so off that tree this year out of maybe 50 or so that dropped.
Red oaks are ok and deer will eat them but they prefer white oak acorns and red oaks are more susceptible to oak wilt .

I also planted some NRO DNR seedlings back in the spring of 2010 as part of a larger diversity planting. I have a couple red oaks from then that are maybe 5" across and 15' tall. They have not produced any acorns yet. They do have some competition nearby and never got babied like the one I planted near my house.

Top Bottom