Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Remington 870 load and choke

mole

I bought a remington 870 mag last year. I never got to shoot it at turkeys. I use to shoot a single shot 10 gauge, but had surgery last year and that took care of the BIG gun. Does anybody have a good combo that works well for the 870? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

mole

I have an 870 wingmaster. I use the full choke that it came with. For shells I use Winchester 3in #5's. I started hunting turkeys 4 years ago. With this combination, I have never missed a shot, killing 1 turkey each year with one shot. I however, don't shoot past 35yards. I am going to experiment with some Hevi-shot this year. I have read that a standard full choke works well with that also.

Hey moleson
My brother-in-law shoots a good ol' 870 and he uses an HS Strut Undertaker choke tube and 3in Remington 4x6 duplex loads. Patterns really nice with 3in 4's as well, but have yet to call a bird in to him. Hopefully I will get one within gun range for him this year. It seems like I always get my bird when he isn't around.....
So will you be hunting in and around George's this spring?
Talk to ya later.

I have a 870 Super Mag and use the rem full choke. I had the best luck with 3 inch #5. They had the best pattern for my gun. I also like to use the 3.5 #5 cause its fun to shoot. good luck.

eme226 - you must be a glutton for punishment with those 3 1/2's.

I shoot an 870 Wingmaster (full) but it's only chambered 2 3/4. I use the copper-plated #5 Winchester turkey mags and it patterns well. Took a 23-lb tom last year at 37 yds.

One thing I think helps is having confidence in your gun and your shooting ability. I've shot pheasant, ducks, geese, quail, five deer, and three turkeys with this 870 that I bought back in 1979. Every time I think about trading up or getting something different, I have to ask myself why and can't come up with a good reason. If I got a gun that I wasn't happy with, I'd kick myself; so I just keep using it and it's never let me down.

(And it's ready to go again this spring!!)

Threebeards

Thanks for the ideas.

Gunner,
I plan on hunting at least one season at George's. Paisley aslo gave me permission. I looked for sheds last weekend and couldn't believe all the turkey tracks.

Threebeards, Waukon 1, & eme226,
I agree that confidence in your gun is important. I loved my 10 gauge with the 3 & halfs. But I can barely handle the 3" in a 12 gauge now. It sems to me that the Winchester shells are very popular, I'll have to give them a try. Thanks and happy hunting.

mole

i have the 870 supermag too mossy oak break up synthetic stock. i used to carry around an old double barrel 10 gauge and switched to the 870 cuz it is alot lighter but it kicks harder. i use an undertaker turkey choke shooting hevi shot # 5's and let me tell you i think you would like that combo. it weird though my 870 shoots those loads awesome and some of my other friends 870's dont shoot them worth a darn so hopefully you got one that shoots them awesome and good luck on the turkey hunting.

Hello Moleson,

I jsut started patterning my 870 with Nitro and Remington Hevi-Shot. I'll be testing more ammo and chokes too to see what works the best.

The pics of my patterns and other info are here.

Rem 870 Test Patterns

Get a gobbling thunder from kicks. The .665 and i promise you will not be disappopinted. well worth the cost. at twenty yards blows 3" holes through plywood with winchester #6.

Top Bottom