Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Resident Hunting License Update

Old Buck,

Saw on the state legislature website that the Senate Natural Resources Cmte. was supposed to be considering 2480 today. Any update? Just curious.

Driftless,
Last I heard was positive but that was several days ago. Called my senator to get an update but he's going fishing. I'll post news as soon as I get it.

I've also heard of turkeys killing quail chicks. I don't have any evidence to prove or disprove.

Blind Sow, you and or the DNR always say that stocking birds will never work! Not to be arguementative but I have been told by several people in Iowa (private landowners stocking their own land with hen pheasants for reproduction) and mainly South Dakota how well it works. So my question is where does the Iowa DNR get their information that stocking doesn't work when it has for years in the state of South Dakota? The state of South Dakota prospers pretty well from the hunters they draw in their state to hunt stocked birds.

BB

Just talked to my senator, Jeff Lamberti, and things are looking good for HF 2480, the increase in resident licenses. He did say that calls to both the House and Senate wouldn't hurt. If you haven't contacted both your senator and representative please do so. Just explain what the bill is, and that most sportsment and women would be glad to pay a few more dollars a year to help out our wildlife and the DNR.

The phone number to reach your Senator is 515/281-3371 & for your Representative is 515/281-3221.

To access bills, E-Mail address for legislators, & other info on the Internet go to http://www.legis.state.ia.us/

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BrunoBuck:
Blind Sow, you and or the DNR always say that stocking birds will never work! Not to be arguementative but I have been told by several people in Iowa (private landowners stocking their own land with hen pheasants for reproduction) and mainly South Dakota how well it works. So my question is where does the Iowa DNR get their information that stocking doesn't work when it has for years in the state of South Dakota? The state of South Dakota prospers pretty well from the hunters they draw in their state to hunt stocked birds.

BB
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
BrunoBuck. How do you think the ringed necked pheasant got to Iowa in the first place. It was stocked by the Iowa Conservation Commision from pen raised birds as well as captured wild birds that were breed with pen raised birds. The IDNR stopped this practice in the mid 70's. The brood stock from the wild bird crosses survived the best as you would expect. I have released over a thousand pen raised birds in the past two years on excellent habitat. Most of these birds get predated on pretty heavily by hawks and coyotes because they don't have the survival skills that their wild cousins have. I think the IDNR could bring back a restocking program as long as they use wild stock for crossbreeding. It would be very expensive and probably better spent toward habitat improvement. Greg Bastian

the pheasants around waterloo area suck so bad i went pheasant hunting for around 5 hours, and seen 1, but it flew up to far away to shoot. its rediculas, 3 to 4 years ago everywhere u looked their would be a fat old rooster. now your lucky to see 1 all year! thats what they need to spend their money on is pheasants, not thos damn over populated deer, i still love to deer hunt tho but man its kinda hard not to get a deer when their are like a million of them around.

Top Bottom