Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Results are in....

Fishbonker

Life Member
Sent the soil in on Saturday and got the results emailed to me this afternoon. I wanted to post the results, but they are in PDF format.

The numbers are surprising, pH is 6.4, P is medium, 40 lbs/acre, K is low, 168 lbs/acre, Ca is medium, 2538 lbs/acre Mg is very high at 524 lbs/acre.

Their recommendation is 0 lime, 0 N, 0 phosphate, 0 potash and 0 Mg. In other words my soil is good to go.

I don’t think I’m that lucky. In the space on the application for “what are you gonna grow” I put in “wildlife plot with clover, turnips, chicory and oats. The results came back with “wildlife plot”.

What do you guys think? Am I good to go? I was mainly interested in the pH. Is 6.4 at the low end of acceptable? Should I put on something like 19-19-19 anyway?

Thanks.

The ‘Bonker

Is it possible you're thinking way to hard and way to much on this plot? I dunno, sometimes I think people make a mountain out of a mole hill when I read some of the steps taken to put in food plots. Good luck, I'd like to come over and drink margaritas and watch you put the plot in.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think? Am I good to go? I was mainly interested in the pH. Is 6.4 at the low end of acceptable? Should I put on something like 19-19-19 anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your PH is perfect but next time tell them the key "crop" you intend to plant (i.e....clover etc.)

The one thing that a test will not tell you is nitrogen...generally they will reccomend that based on the crop and the expected yield.

In your case the chicory, brassicas and oats could use a shot of nitrogen in the form of urea (46-0-0) best tilled in before planting or just before a good rain.

As Muddy mentioned...some plots it's just not that big of a deal.

I've planted plenty with out a lick of fertilizer or lime and for wildlife purposes it does just fine.

It sounds like in your case you have high soil fertility and everything (including "weeds"
wink.gif
) should do just fine!

[ QUOTE ]
Is it possible you're thinking way to hard and way to much on this plot? I dunno, sometimes I think people make a mountain out of a mole hill when I read some of the steps taken to put in food plots. Good luck, I'd like to come over and drink margaritas and watch you put the plot in.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm over thinking? Isn't that kinda like wondering if the carp has a notched bottom lip with round odoliths, a segmented lateral line and pharengeal fangs? One man's moutain is another man's carp.

Too bad my pH was WNL, I was lookin forward to another bag of limes, the fruit, not the mineral. My wife is dog sitting and the dog's owner gave me a case of Coronoa for my wife's effort. Can't beat that.

So Muddy, did you wanna come over for the discing, the spraying or the planting? As far as selling tickets, I should make a video on what not to do with food plots. Or better put, how to grow weeds. Not to be confused with that all time best seller "How to grow your own weed".

The 'Bonker

[ QUOTE ]
Or better put, how to grow weeds. Not to be confused with that all time best seller "How to grow your own weed".

[/ QUOTE ]

Whew...I was worried this thread was really going to...pot!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Make sure you share some pics of how your plot turns out Bonks!
waytogo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm over thinking? Isn't that kinda like wondering if the carp has a notched bottom lip with round odoliths, a segmented lateral line and pharengeal fangs? One man's moutain is another man's carp.

Too bad my pH was WNL, I was lookin forward to another bag of limes, the fruit, not the mineral. My wife is dog sitting and the dog's owner gave me a case of Coronoa for my wife's effort. Can't beat that.

So Muddy, did you wanna come over for the discing, the spraying or the planting? As far as selling tickets, I should make a video on what not to do with food plots. Or better put, how to grow weeds. Not to be confused with that all time best seller "How to grow your own weed".

The 'Bonker

[/ QUOTE ]

cool.gif
cool.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Never did any of the testing when we put in plots and all turned out well, I think for wildlife purposes you are fine. That stuff grows like weeds anyway
grin.gif

Top Bottom