Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

RIFLEMANZ 45-70

scout

Have you ever shot a black bear with it? What bullet weight doyou like best? Is it too much gun (is that possible!) for the 15" Encore?
rambo.gif

rambo.gif

rambo.gif

rambo.gif

(assault team in action)

Scout. i own the Marlin 45-70 guide gun in lever action.It has a 18.5" barrel with ports.I have never shot a black bear,but have shot deer with it.I shot a doe at 15yds from my treestand on nov-23 WI gun season.I used a 350gr hardcast bullet.The doe smacked the ground right in front of me.The 45-70 is a perfect black bear round.It has alot of power.I reload for my 45-70 and like the Hornady 350gr flat pt bullet at around 1950fps.Its a real thumper on the shoulder but alot of fun to shoot.Its my favorite caliber to shoot.I have never shot a encore but i bet its alot of fun!Another good bullet is the REM 405gr along with the Nosler 300gr Protected pt.If you ever need loads i have the Nosler #5,Hodgdons #27,Lymans #47
Good Luck black bear hunting!

Scout. i own the Marlin 45-70 guide gun in lever action.It has a 18.5" barrel with ports.I have never shot a black bear,but have shot deer with it.I shot a doe at 15yds from my treestand on nov-23 WI gun season.I used a 350gr hardcast bullet.The doe smacked the ground right in front of me.The 45-70 is a perfect black bear round.It has alot of power.I reload for my 45-70 and like the Hornady 350gr flat pt bullet at around 1950fps.Its a real thumper on the shoulder but alot of fun to shoot.Its my favorite caliber to shoot.I have never shot a encore but i bet its alot of fun!Another good bullet is the REM 405gr along with the Nosler 300gr Protected pt.If you ever need loads i have the Nosler #5,Hodgdons #27,Lymans #47
Good Luck black bear hunting!

That guide gun is a sweet unit. I have two guns with short barrels and love them both. One is a Weatherby VGL 243, it has a 20" tube.
I also made up a custom turkey thumper. It's a single shot 12ga with the chamber throat reemed, a Colonial x-full choke and it has an 18.25 " tube. Both carry very nice.

What do you think of the 450 Marlin?

Scout, i almost bought the 450 Marlin but then decided on the 45-70.The 450 only has 1 ammo choice from Hornady.The 45-70 has about 15 factory ammo choices.I consider the 45-70 and 450 Marlin as equal.The 45-70 has more case capacity than the 450.Guys on the Marlin web site have shot cape buffalo with the 45-70 using garrett hammerheads 420gr.Buffalo Bore ammo also has some super loads that will kill anything on this planet.I was not happy with one load when i bought,so i went with the 45-70.The 450 one load is a hornady 350gr fp at over 2000fps,very potent load.

I would like to correct myself,there are 49 commercial loads for the 45-70 available.A guy just listed them on the Marlin rifles Big Bore web site.There is still only one commercial load for the 450 marlin from hornady.

Top Bottom